Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big time groaning/moaning from PS pump when cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big time groaning/moaning from PS pump when cold?

And it goes away when its hot. I'm guessing the fluid is completely shot or the wrong kind was put in. I really need to get that stuff changed, it almost looks like old gear lube in there, nasty.

is there a question here, or you just letting us know?
    IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

There are two people having sex in your P/S pump. If you are lucky, their lesbians;-)

Take the cap off of your P/S res when it is making the noise. there will most likely be air bubbles in there. I suggest changing at least the two non pressure lines (the ones on the bottle) and of course refill with dextron III.
      Originally posted by cabriodster87
      "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
      Originally posted by Kershaw
      i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

i got some really expensive mopar ATF+4 sitting around, how about that. its about 3x the price of dexron. I don't know why I posted this, maybe to convince myself that I really need to get it changed. the lines aren't leaky leaky though, why should I change them?

Comment

Originally posted by ptownTSI View Post
          i got some really expensive mopar ATF+4 sitting around, how about that. its about 3x the price of dexron. I don't know why I posted this, maybe to convince myself that I really need to get it changed. the lines aren't leaky leaky though, why should I change them?

The manual calls for Dexron II, use Dexron III better and works with II as well. Bleed your system. If noise continues, re-build your pump (Re-manuf pump costs $220). It's easy and the rebuild kit costs around $30. Did it in about an hour.

You may want/need to rebuild your rack as well. (re-manuf costs $240) Rebuild kit is also around $30. My pump went out on me and my rack was shit so I rebuilt both....
          Last edited by Maluco; 01-14-2007, 01:26 PM.

Comment

On the chance that the wrong fluid is in the system, a full flush with Dexron would be the first thing I'd try. The easy way to to that is to suck all of the fluid out of the reservoir, refill with fresh, and cycle the steering from lock to lock a couple of times. Repeat until you've gone through at least one quart of ATF.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Get a new resviour too. It has a built in filter in it.

They are only like 15-20$.
              Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                Get a new resviour too. It has a built in filter in it.

They are only like 15-20$.
                Damn, I didn't know they had a built-in filter.... I just rebuilt all my PS components and have new hoses. I assume I should get a new res?

Comment

yes
                  My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                  There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Working...
                  X