Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strut Bump Stops position on Bilstein Tourings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strut Bump Stops position on Bilstein Tourings?

From what I've seen on a diagram it seems the position in the below pic is correct but I just wanted to check. The bump stop fits into the dust cover but is it supposed to sit up at the very top like that the whole time?

No .

The bump stop is supposed to protrude out of the top of the boot and the boot is supposed to hang down further .

WTF are you tearing up man ? :D

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

haha

I don't understand. the cone end does protrude a little. Are you saying most of the bump stop should not even be in the boot? The cone end is supposed to point down, correct? (either this car didn't have one of these before or it got all busted up and spit out)

Comment

ah, ok....like this.

Last edited by Maluco; 02-24-2007, 12:37 PM.

Comment

That second pic does not look right. When the car is on the ground/going over bumps, the shocks will compress the boot over the stop. The first pic is correct.
          Originally posted by cabriodster87
          "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."
          Originally posted by Kershaw
          i've got a boner and a desire to speed.

Comment

bilsteins have internal bump stops.
            sigpic

Comment

ok, which one is it? Does it go inside like the first pic, does it go like Teaguer explained and is seen in the 2nd pic, or does the fact that Bilsteins have internal stops eliminate the nedd for these things all together?

Comment

ok sorry, let me be more specific. bilstein sports have internal bumpstops. tourings maybe, i dont know. did they have external bumpstops mounted before? the only way to check would be to remove the strut insert, and pop the bottom cover off. i apologize for my ambiguity and lack of help.
                sigpic

Comment

The touring does have an internal bump stop, but you should use another if you can. Is the car lowered? You should use the sports if it is. I am lowered on the tourings and I know mine won't last as long as they should. I run a cut/shortened external bump stop. I have my boot over the bump stop compleatly.
                  "Honey? What color is this wire? Is it the same as that one? Are you sure? I don't believe it. OK, it works. Thank you sweetie."

Comment

See, number 11 goes into number 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike325 View Post

See, number 11 goes into number 12.
                      Yes, I saw that, but the issue is does it go compltely inside of it or just the tip as Teaguer suggested.

Comment

Compleatly inside. It makes no sence why it would be just on the tip. If you bottomed the suspension out, so the bump stop was touching on the top and the bottom, woulden't that boot get slid over the stop? Think about it. I don't know why he even told you that. I work at a dealer and have seen a few e30s there. They ALL have the boot over the bump stop like I have mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike325 View Post
                          Compleatly inside. It makes no sence why it would be just on the tip. If you bottomed the suspension out, so the bump stop was touching on the top and the bottom, woulden't that boot get slid over the stop? Think about it. I don't know why he even told you that. I work at a dealer and have seen a few e30s there. They ALL have the boot over the bump stop like I have mentioned.
                          cool, thanks. I originally had it that way and posted to make sure.

Comment

Working...
                          X