IE front-rear sway bar balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IE front-rear sway bar balance

I bought this 25/22 and i know i would feel the same if i had gotten the 22/19, just in the size difference between the front and rear bars.

22 mm for the rear is just insane to me. i was just looking for the 25mm front bar and set but after having this rear bar in my hands, i cant bring myself to actually install it.

can you guys give some more feedback from track and autox experiences?

This is just a guess but i think i would end up with full hard in the front and soft in the rear. What about if i tried to trade in this 22 rear for the 19? Wouldnt that sound like a more balanced setup? (25/19)
    What if i modified the front sway mount to be M3 style, off the strut housing? Do you think that enough to compensate the 25/22 ratio?

Put it on and see what happens...

Adjustments are easy.

Comment

It all depends on your car setup (springs, camber, shocks) and driving style. Like Matt says just try it out.

I've got IE3 springs, bilstein sports, about 2 degrees of camber up front. I'm running the 25mm IE bar up front and stock rear bear. This works fantastic on the track, but understeers during autox. I'm not planning on changing a thing.

Comment

they're hollow aren't they? I'm guessing here but I wouldn't think the 22 hollow is much more effective than a 19 solid. My guess is that they are bigger diameter wise to be hollow and save unsprung weight. I would *think* that it's apples to oranges as far as diameters of hollow vs solid.

Dunno, didn't do to well in college physics, ended up taking a course to fulfill the requirement called "why the sky is blue".

Comment

I am running the 25/22 setup on my daily/autox car. I love it. Definitely leans towards oversteer. It doesn't lean hardly at all. I love it.
          :: PNW Crew ::
          '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

Not apples to oranges, but a hollow sway bar is nearly as effective as a solid one in the same diameter. The outside of the bar does most of the work anyway.

Comment

interesting, found this http://www.hotchkistuning.com/bin/Mi...SwayTech-D.pdf

all depends on the wall thickness, could be stronger --- could be weaker.

I suppose if someone hit the ireland with a caliper we could calculate it's solid counterpart.

Comment

the front is hollow and rear is solid. but as matt said, the fact that its hollow doesnt affect the stiffness much.

from these responses alone, i already think its too stiff. and i dont want to install something that i think i might trade in.

Keep the feedback coming!

its a stock weighted 325i with IE stage 3's and koni SA's. will be primarily for autox use... and a little street driving.

i can do the front strut mounted sway mount - who has this mod and what calculations have you done in the past regarding the change in stiffness?

Comment

I'd think that that you'd experience a generous amount of understeer w/o the rear sway. And under hard cornering I'd guess that the rear tires's contact patch would suffer from the rear wanting to twist. I've driven Spec E30 cars with 22/19 sways and they felt reasonably balanced. So I'd say to install the rear sway.

With the sway installed you can try it both ways by simply disconnecting one sway bar link.
                  Last edited by jlevie; 02-28-2007, 11:36 AM.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I've got the 25mm Ireland bar up front and no bar in the rear. I am running koni yellows and GC 600/450 springs. The car has very neutral handling characteristics with this setup.

-Nick

Comment

Originally posted by xLibelle View Post
                      i can do the front strut mounted sway mount - who has this mod and what calculations have you done in the past regarding the change in stiffness?
                      The calculations are easy... Determine the change in the distance between the inner balljoint and the current attachment point and the outer ball joint (effectively the new attachment point) and figure out how much more leverage you have with the new attachment point.

I may or may not have done said calculations for the WR car already. :crazy:

Comment

jlevie, dont say another word.
                        nick, thanks
                        matt, i know how to obtain the values and perform the calcs - its just i'd rather not re-invent the wheel, so why not ask someone else for the info when they have done it before.

i could have sworn that IE added a 19mm rear option to the 25/22 kit and thought now they have shit in gear but when i went to order, i just went straight to the 25/22. im going to have to get this changed i think.

anyone with more thoughts on a balanced setup?

Comment

Working...
                        X