strut issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

strut issue

Ok turns out the bilstein strut inserts I have came off a 318(46mm strut housing) part number f4-p30-0334-h0 they have 100 miles on them. I have a 89 325is (51mm strut housing). I did a search and someone mentioned the only difference between the two strut inserts was the mounting nut on the 46mm was external and the 51 is interal which I can see. Can someone confirm? b/c I just so happen to have both mount nuts (off my 87 325is). It was mentioned that if I use the internal mounting nut then the struts I have should be ok to use? I need to know asap I am knee deep in this crap. Sorry for my ignorance in this matter.. I guess I am a noob when it come to the specifics..........

I believe my rears are fine I see no difference..just incase the part number for the rear bilsteins is f4-b36-2027-h0

someone shoot me..
    sigpic

anyone?
    sigpic

Comment

The 46 and 51mm refer to the diameter of the strut insert. The 318 one is too small for the 325 strut housing.

On the rear, you shouldnt have any issues even if they are different part numbers, it will fit. Just wouldnt probably dampen ideally.
      sigpic

Comment

Bilstein SPRINT(upsidedown style, shock piston appears to be very fat) front inserts are if not identical but atleast interchangeable, if you use correct nut. Other bilstein might not interchange.

The insert is very tight to small strut, but has very much room in big strut.
        Current:

BMW 320i 2d 2.0 m20 -88
        BMW 325i Cabriolet 2.5 m50 -88
        BMW 316i touring 1.6 m40 -90
        BMW 320i 4d 2,2 m54 -01

Comment

they worked!! all I did was swipe the different internal threaded mounting nut off my 87. the car looks sick I need an alignment now and the rear camber is way off. i also need to learn how to adj the sways. pics soon to come thanks for all the help again.

-D
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X