Steering rack swap HELP! please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering rack swap HELP! please

Ok E36 rack going into an airbag car... everything is great Except. it feels like the coloum needs to be shortened half an inch or so...

There are two holes in each of the subframe tabs and i can have the rack in crooked by having the passanger side in the original hole and the drivers side in the hole thats about 1/4 inch forward! The rack will not go back anymore.:hitler:

i did a search, seems like no one else has encounterd this. if anyone has any ideas or sugestions PLEASE help me
    and yes i have modified the firewall.

1987 PRO-3 car /1990 325is (2.7i Concours)

see steps 17-19 for his solution

Comment

An ir bag car does not have the same type of joint. Loosen the big nut on the shaft inside the car that is between the pedals. The shaft that goes through the firewall to the rack will slide in and out of the upper shaft.
      Here's realoem pic, #1:
      http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...80&hg=32&fg=30

Comment

What 318is said-the lower joint does not need to be modified in any way. Loosen the nut (if you need to, mine didn't even need that) and slide the shaft in. I actually pulled mine out and cleaned the splines. It's very easy.
        1973 Bavaria

Comment

YES thank you so so much, i will try it tonight....
          I was looking at that nut because i have no interior in the car right now, but i wanted to know before i tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by peller View Post

I looked at that many times, i have the airbag knuckle. thank you for the suggestion though :D

Comment

Working...
            X