front wheel bearings, HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front wheel bearings, HELP!!

Mine are on their last leg and do this horrendous noise. Are they painful to change and how long would the job take? Any special tools? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

How do I spell stress relief?:hitler:
    :!:Open Track Days!!!:!:

32mm deep socket - the one at Sears is thin walled enough to work. the 32mm wheel bearing sockets at the parts chain stores are usually thick walled and will not work.

I got mine off by hand, but its possible you may need a puller depending on condition/corrosion.

Bentley has the torque specs for reinstalling the nut. It is a big number IIRC.

I'd get a new nut and dust cap when you buy the hub/bearing.
    Current Cars
    2014 M235i
    2009 R56 Cooper S
    1998 M3
    1997 M3

Comment

Are you starting to hear a grinding, wobbling noise coming from your front wheels? Have you noticed a wheel that shakes when you drive? Chances are the wheel bearings may be starting to fail.

they're great, i used them and my bentley to adjust my valves and it went smooth as butter.

Comment

The wheel bearing with obviously be a bitch to removed as stated above, if there is a lot of corrosion. Do yourself a favor and spray some PB blaster on there and walk away for 30 minutes or so. Should make it a lot easier.

And the torque spec on the nut is 250ft lbs.

Taylor
        Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
        Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Originally posted by E30_fiend View Post
          The wheel bearing with obviously be a bitch to removed as stated above, if there is a lot of corrosion. Do yourself a favor and spray some PB blaster on there and walk away for 30 minutes or so. Should make it a lot easier.

And the torque spec on the nut is 250ft lbs.

Taylor
          The writeup above and the bentley says 210ft lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
            32mm deep socket - the one at Sears is thin walled enough to work. the 32mm wheel bearing sockets at the parts chain stores are usually thick walled and will not work.

I got mine off by hand, but its possible you may need a puller depending on condition/corrosion.

Bentley has the torque specs for reinstalling the nut. It is a big number IIRC.

I'd get a new nut and dust cap when you buy the hub/bearing.
            Mine were 36mm, had to shave down socket from advance auto parts.

Comment

Working...
            X