Needed: GC coil-overs for dummies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needed: GC coil-overs for dummies

Could somebody explain or post a link to how GC coil-overs are installed? Does it involve a trip to a welding shop? If so, will they have a clue how to do it properly?
    "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

The backs are easy: unbolt the bottom of the shocks, pull out the old springs and spring pads, press the adjusters onto the nubs on the trailing arms, press the upper pads onto the unibody nubs, stick the springs in, bolt the shocks back on, and you are good to go. The only tough part is making the spring seat correctly when you set the car down.

The fronts are a bit more involved, and there are 2 options:

stock-length struts: pull the strut out of the car, unbolt the upper support and the spring hat (MAKE SURE YOU USE SPRING COMPRESSORS!!!), remove the strut insert retaining nut, and pull the insert out. Technically, you don't need to remove the insert, but doing so makes the tube a lot lighter and easier to handle. Then, use a cutoff wheel to cut off the old lower spring perch. Do this just above the factory weld and you will probably have to grind it down to make it flat. Use some spray paint on this and the little d-ring supplied in the kit, because you don't want them to rust. There are o-rings in the kit; these slide over the tube, and the adjusters slide over these. Then you can reinstall everything, reverse of installation, starting with the strut insert.

Note that the adjusters will not slide over the insert retaining nut, so the insert has to come out at some point anyway.

Shortened struts: I havn't done this, but GC supplies instrictions with their kit. The idea is to gain suspension travel so you can slam the car and not bottom the shocks out. If you go this route, I think GC's instructions will work fine.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Thanks for the write-up!
      "If the sky were to fall tomorrow, the tall would die first."

-Dr. Paul Forrester

Do I LOOK like I need a psychological evaluation???

Comment

They get installed the same as regular springs.
        There is a perch that adjusts the seat for the spring up and down. Thats all there really is to know. Coilovers are easier to install than springs. No spring compressors needed.

Comment

Working...
        X