Cab-specific H&R Sports on a Sedan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cab-specific H&R Sports on a Sedan?

I'd like stiffen up my ride with a minimal amount of drop. I'm going to use the H&R Sport 50406 front springs. It's my understanding that since the 50406s are for the 6 cylinder cars, I'll get less drop with them on my M42.

As for the rears, I'm planning on using what I believe are H&R Sport cabriolet/iX springs. My logic is that I will get less drop with them because they are made specifically for cabs and iXs which are heavier in the rear. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

Also, the rear H&R cab springs I bought (used) are blue and have "19-03-BMW" printed on them. Googling it seems to support that they are cab/iX sport springs in the Euro market, BUT, the U.S. sources indicate that cab/iX sport springs are 50407s. Can anyone confirm that the 19-03 and 50407 are the same spring? Thanks.
    sigpic
    January 2012 COTM

Not really sure why the ix would be heavier in the back, but I am pretty sure that H&R makes a spring called the OEM sport that has the same rates as the normal sport with a factory ride height.
    Byron
    Leichtbau

Comment

can`t confirm-

like the way your thinking--

I think your worst case scenario is going to be calling H&R direct on Monday and talking to a rep to verify.

join the E30 Cabrio owners gruppe
      click here for details

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
        Not really sure why the ix would be heavier in the back, but I am pretty sure that H&R makes a spring called the OEM sport that has the same rates as the normal sport with a factory ride height.
        d'oh! I just found this. I always thought the OE Sports had close to stock spring rates. I checked the H&R application guide and the OE Sports lower the car 1", no spring rates though.
        H&R OE Sport--------------------180------------------------380
        H&R Sport-----------------------180------------------------380
        H&R Sport (29664)---------------200------------------------285
        H&R Race------------------------315------------------------570
        H&R Coilovers***----------------340------------------------380

Oh well, I throw them on and see what's what. Thanks
        sigpic
        January 2012 COTM

Comment

ummm--

those are the spring rates.

join the E30 Cabrio owners gruppe
          click here for details

Comment

Originally posted by robrez View Post
            I'd like stiffen up my ride with a minimal amount of drop. I'm going to use the H&R Sport 50406 front springs. It's my understanding that since the 50406s are for the 6 cylinder cars, I'll get less drop with them on my M42.

As for the rears, I'm planning on using what I believe are H&R Sport cabriolet/iX springs. My logic is that I will get less drop with them because they are made specifically for cabs and iXs which are heavier in the rear. WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?

Also, the rear H&R cab springs I bought (used) are blue and have "19-03-BMW" printed on them. Googling it seems to support that they are cab/iX sport springs in the Euro market, BUT, the U.S. sources indicate that cab/iX sport springs are 50407s. Can anyone confirm that the 19-03 and 50407 are the same spring? Thanks.
            The only help I can offer is I have a 318is (M42) and I have the 50406 H&R Sports and Bilstein Sports. I don't really feel like they stiffened up the car that much, so if that's what you're looking for I would look to the H&R Races or coilovers.

'91 318is - OBD-II S52 swapped - E30 M3 5-lug - 5x120 BBS RC090 (E39 Style 5) - TCK D/A coilovers 550/700 [SOLD]
            '87 535i - Vacuum brake conversion [SOLD]
            '93 525iT - 5-speed swap - 320k and counting
            '09 328xi - 6-speed

Comment

Working...
            X