Bilstein Sport Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bilstein Sport Question

Just purchased Bilstein Sport strut inserts that were new and un-opened in their respective boxes. Upon opening I noticed dark purple stain marks on the inside of each strut's dust covers which I knew was the internal ATF. The covers were not drenched so to say, but it was a noticeable amount for both and one had even leaked onto a portion of the packaged instructions. This apparently was due to the collar not being popped on or clicked down into place, perhaps this was caused by improper handling with shipment.

My question, cause for concern?

I physically compressed both strut inserts (placed on floor with my weight pushing down) to their max and each returned to their regular height. Although, one strut takes twice as long to return to the de-compressed state (about 7 seconds for one and a little under 6 seconds for the other).
    Last edited by Ray McCooney; 04-25-2009, 10:13 PM.

I think my original struts came the same way. I would think they might coat the bare shafts to help with corrosion while on the shelf? Just a guess. But that different in rebound is kinda weird.
    89 325is track project / 05 x5 / 99 M3
    E30 stuff for sale | Parts I'm looking for

Comment

Originally posted by bmwpower View Post
      I think my original struts came the same way. I would think they might coat the bare shafts to help with corrosion while on the shelf? Just a guess. But that different in rebound is kinda weird.
      Hmm, I don't quite think that they coat the shafts with ATF to avoid corrosion prior to boxing/shelving them as there would be quite a few dark purple, stained dust boots. Plus the collars were clearly not pushed down and the ATF was originating from the union of the strut body and collar. I was also a bit taken back by the difference in rebound times for each strut insert.

Comment

i would call bilstein and see what they have to say about it. sounds like a defective strut to me.

Comment

Originally posted by E30nate View Post
          i would call bilstein and see what they have to say about it. sounds like a defective strut to me.
          I would love to do so, only problem with that is that I technically did not purchase these strut inserts to begin with. I bought them from another community member here new and still sealed in their original boxes. I know Bilstein has a policy that only the original purchaser can return the shocks under their lifetime guaranty with proof of purchase. :(

Comment

ahh. that kinda throws a wrench in things then.

Comment

Hmmm. Could have sworn mine were like that, maybe not as bad, but I would call Bilstein anyway to see.

Not condoning this but.... order another new set and return yours.
              Unless they are serialized.

Comment

Hmmm. Could have sworn mine were like that, maybe not as bad, but I would call Bilstein anyway to see.

Not condoning this but.... order another new set and return yours.
                Unless they are serialized.
                Trust me, I would if I could. See post #5. I would have not been concerned by the amount of fluid that leaked had it not been for the difference in rebound between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray McCooney View Post
                  Trust me, I would if I could. See post #5. I would have not been concerned by the amount of fluid that leaked had it not been for the difference in rebound between the two.
                  No I meant not to get them warranteed but just to ask them for their opinion.

Comment

No I meant not to get them warranteed but just to ask them for their opinion.
                    Ah, got ya. I could do that, unfortunately I have a feeling it will go something like this though:

Me: "Calling with a question about a potentially defective strut insert"
                    Bilstein Rep.: "Hold while I transfer you to the warranty/claims dept."
                    Me: "Shit"
                    Warranty Rep: "Are you the original owner/purchaser?"
                    Me: "No"
                    Warranty Rep: "Thank you for your interest in our products. Goodbye."

Or not. ;)

Comment

Ah, got ya. I could do that, unfortunately I have a feeling it will go something like this though:

Or not. ;)
                      Just say you are the original purchaser or lost the receipt. I'm sure people do it all the time. Not trying to get free struts out of them, but to get info out of them for confirmation that they may or may not be bad. Worst comes to worst they could repair them and you could find out the cost.

Tis the season. Maybe they will be lenient.

Comment

Or not. ;)
                        It won't go anything like that. They're very friendly and are willing to answer questions. Call them and explain the situation...if you're afraid of what will happen don't give them your information.
                        Last edited by VacMan; 12-11-2008, 01:32 PM.

1987 E30 cabrio | Bumper swap | H&R Sport | Koni Yellow | Eibach Sways | BavAuto strut bar | Cardinal seats
                        MTech2 wheel | Husco Armrest | Smoked Hella Smileys | 5k HID | Stromung | RS003
                        | Shadowline | Amber Fogs | Too much else to list

Comment

Originally posted by e30nate View Post
                          i would call bilstein and see what they have to say about it. Sounds like a defective strut to me.
                          +1
                          sigpic

Mike

'91 325i track car. Mostly...

Comment

Originally posted by VacMan View Post
                            It won't go anything like that. They're very friendly and are willing to answer questions. Call them and explain the situation...if you're afraid of what will happen don't give them your information.
                            No you're correct, I assumed they would be compliant and helpful, I was only making light of the situation

Originally posted by DSP74
                            Call them up and explain. You will be fine. Tell them you are the original purchaser.

They should rebound the same.

Blue oil however, isn't Bilstein oil.

There oil is what you would expect from a thin oil----an transparent brown/yellow/amber color.
                            Same as above.

I did in fact contact them today, and as I had expected they were very cordial and helpful. I spoke with an individual by the name of John at their Poway location. He felt that an inspection of the shocks would be a good way to rule out the possibility of problems. His thoughts were such that the ATF like fluid that I observed (now shown in my first post) was not the actual internal fluid of the shock, but instead could be the grease that acts to deal with friction. The fluid though did not seem viscous enough to be a greaseing agent.

The only hang up here is that Bilstein has stated that I should seek a return/possible exchange from the retailer that I "purchased" them from. That retailer is BavAuto as far as I know and have been told from the individual that I purchased them from. Should this route not pan out, then Bilstein offered inspection services, to which I would have to pay to ship these new shocks to their facility and pay a service fee of $25 per shock to be tested to even see if they qualify for replacement under warranty as they assumed I was the original owner during our phone conversation. I have already made intial contact with the seller here and hopefully he will be willing to interact with BavAuto on my behalf as none of damage or defectiveness could be attributed to anything he may have done due to the fact that they were still sealed when he sold them to me. Fun.
                            Last edited by Ray McCooney; 04-25-2009, 10:12 PM.

Comment

I have already made intial contact with the seller here and hopefully he will be willing to interact with BavAuto on my behalf
                              what i was going to say. hopefully he is a stand up guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X