Front End rattle.... loose spring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front End rattle.... loose spring?

Ok, first of all, I searched and wasn't able to come up with anything...

I've been hearing a lot of rattling in the front right corner of my car that sounds like something is loose. I put it up on jack stands today and am trying to figure out what it could be. The only thing that stands out is that the spring on the pass. right is looser in the strut housing than I'd like it to be. I'm not running spring pads, with Vorshlag springs and KYB struts. Does this sound like it would be the culprit? What are my options as far as solutions?
    TIA
    If life passes you by... Downshift.

Put it on the ground and reach in and grab the spring if you can.

Comment

Whats your opinion on Votgland and KbY's? I was thinking of buying some KBY's in the near future for daily driving.....

Comment

does it rattle if you beat the tire with your fist too? (one the ground, that is?)

mine does, my brake pads slap around and rattle at low speeds
        1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
          Put it on the ground and reach in and grab the spring if you can.
          Its back on the ground, and theres no movement in the spring. Its not making any noise anymore when I bounce that corner, so hopefully it may have sorted itself out...

Originally posted by BimmerBro View Post
          Whats your opinion on Votgland and KbY's? I was thinking of buying some KBY's in the near future for daily driving.....
          They are not bad for daily driving, but not too soft. They are harsher than H&R sports, and honestly I didn't think the shock/struts would last this long. I plan on going with Bilsteins or Konis next.

Comment

KYB is pretty low end (as in price/quality) stuff and it is possible that they are not short enough for the low springs.
            I'm Not Right in the Head | Random Rants and other Nonsense1st Order Logic Failure: Association fallacy, this type of fallacy can be expressed as (∃xS : φ(x)) → (∀xS : φ(x)), meaning "if there exists any x in the set S so that a property φ is true for x, then for all x in S the property φ must be true".

Comment

Originally posted by Liam View Post
              KYB is pretty low end (as in price/quality) stuff and it is possible that they are not short enough for the low springs.
              Wrong.

Mine is lower than that. I have 45,000 miles on a set of KYBs. They are still fine with a terrific ride.

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Alright, problem hasn't sorted itself out... any bumps or imperfections in the road and it rattles.

I'll take a look again next time i get a chance, but any ideas in the mean time are more than welcome.

Comment

had a problem similar when i put my springs on. your getting the noise from the front correct?

after you mounted your top hats did you make sure that your shock shaft bolt was snug in the middle of your top hat?

i had a very minor gap between my top hat and shock bolt which would chatter/rattle a bit when i hit rough roads...

Just an idea!
                  sigpic
                  Rc Autoworks

7434 W 90th St
                  Bridgeview, IL 60455
                  708-599-5884
                  ~
                  359 Garage
                  32 E Belmont Dr
                  Romeoville, IL 60446
                  815-372-3590

Comment

maybe the drop put more stress on your ball joints.. you might just notcie it with stiffer springs. My wheel wobbles a tad b.c ball joint are trashed

Comment

Springs and struts/shocks have been in the car for almost 2 years, and this is a new issue.

Also, the control arms and tie rods are new, so the ball joints are still in good condition.

Figuring this out has kinda been put on hold till I can replace my oil pan.... :roll:

Comment

Is the gland nut on the shock tight enough? This seems to be a fairly well-documented rattle source, because the nut will back off just enough to allow it to rattle. My Bilsteins did it when I got the car.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Yeah, the nut that fastens the shock mount to the strut can be hard to get completely tight enough. If it isn't all the way tight it will rattle.
                          Originally posted by z31maniac
                          I just hate everyone.

No need for discretion.

Comment

are your front strut mounts good? Nut can be tight but if the mount is shot it will bang around inside it...

how about your front swaybar bushings?

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
                              Is the gland nut on the shock tight enough? This seems to be a fairly well-documented rattle source, because the nut will back off just enough to allow it to rattle. My Bilsteins did it when I got the car.

gearheads got it....gland nuts often back out...I track my e 30...yesterday at Lime Rock my frt end seems strange in a 70 mph sweeper..........

lt. gland nut backed out....4 th time in 2 yrs.....

gland nut secures strut insert into strut housing.....and it threads onto outer threads on housing (above spring perch)...

jack car up..wheel can stay on.......grap strut housing below perch( not spring) and try to move it....if you feel movt.....check gn....

hate when my nuts back out..........tighty whiteys ftw.....
                              I love sitting down and just driving!

Comment

Working...
                              X