E36 M3 Steering Rack Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36 M3 Steering Rack Leak

I just put in the E36 M3 Steering rack, and I am pissing fluid. Goes below the fluid min about every 7 days or so. The leak is not coming from the lines but it appears to be at the top of the rack, right under the black cover.

If you need a pic, a similar view can be found here under Pic 22.

Any suggestions?

Justin

topin'

Comment

I know you used to be able to buy a rebuild kit through the dealer, but I dunno if its still availiable. Otherwise, you will have to have the rack rebuilt. If you don't have the money or time, you could just take off the PS belt, which will slow the leak. Leave the fluid in it, though.

Alternatively, I have a '96 e36 M3 rack for sale with no leaks. PM me if you are interested, and I'm pretty close to you I think.

Jordan

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

unfortunately, the last thing I want to do is spend more loot and crawl back under. I will give Lucas oil a try and see if it slows up the leak at all. If that doesn't work, then I will have no other choice but to buy another.

Comment

That's crazy. My "new" '95 m3 rack did the exact same thing in that exact same place. Started out as a leak, ended up being a waterfall. I ended up just removing the PS belt and running it with no PS for now.

As for rebuilding it, good luck. I spent forever looking for an e36 rebuild kit, and the only thing I found was some obscure, badly organized website had a rebuild kit for a '94 316i rack or something obscure.

'88 325is
          VP UT of Austin Autoholics
          BMWCCA 380364

Comment

Originally posted by Republic View Post
            unfortunately, the last thing I want to do is spend more loot and crawl back under. I will give Lucas oil a try and see if it slows up the leak at all. If that doesn't work, then I will have no other choice but to buy another.
            I tried the Lucas stuff and it worked a bit, but if the leak is that bad you are just wasting time. If you don't have the money for a new rack, then run without PS. Its not bad unless you do a lot of driving >10 MPH. In normal driving, except parking, I doubt you will notice unless you do a lot of autocrossing, etc

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

Jordan,

all I will have to do is remove the PS belt, nothing else?

Comment

searching through other forums, there was an outfit that did supply the rebuild kits. However they no longer do but have provided me with the gasket set p/n and mounting p/ns

Gasket Set 32131140867
                Mounting Parts 32131096600

Basically, same deal off of Realoem yet theses numbers do come up as a 318. I would imagine, 90 percent of the parts would be the same with some critical components being different. So, with that said, I could imagine most of the gaskets, rings and mounting parts would stay the same throughout the racks... no?

Comment

Working...
                X