Koni sports and wheel question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Koni sports and wheel question.

I have narrowed my supension plans down to Koni sport shocks with the externally adjustable option. I am undecided on wheels other than I want to stay 4 x 100 and 15" or 16". As far as the Konis go, I have been on several sites Bimmerworld, Turner and Pelican. Its almost impossible to get Spec's to make sure I am getting the correct parts.. I have a few questions.

What I have. 1990 325i
    Will use: e30 M3 springs, IE drop hats, rubber suspension bushing except IE adjustable sway bars bushing will be poly.

Are the Koni Sports an 1" shorter than stock?
    Are the Koni sports 12mm at the shaft requiring the larger mount holes?
    Does any have the Koni Part number for those externally adjustable sport shocks?

Wheel question: with a 1" drop i am to have full suspension travel but wonder if a 16" rim with a 205/50/16 would fill up the gap better than a 225 / 50 15.

This thread has some good info on the different Koni Sport options: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...-clarification

-Given the minimum drop of M3 springs, I'd probably go with Koni 8641-1021 for the front, and 80-2522 for the rear. They are intended for stock length strut housings, so they shouldn't be shorter than stock vs. a custom short body shock.
    -The off-the-shelf Koni rear shocks use the standard 10mm shock shaft, and require removal from the car to adjust. The top-adjustable rear Koni shocks are the ones that use the 12mm shock shaft, but these are generally custom revalved shocks sold by Ground Control or TC Kline for example.
    -The 205/50/16 is slightly taller than the 225/50/15 (24.1-inch diameter vs. 23.9-inches). The 15-inch tire selection with the correct e30 rolling diameter is fairly limited for street tires, so something to consider.

Hopefully this helps!

Comment

Thank you mtech325.

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
        This thread has some good info on the different Koni Sport options: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...-clarification

-Given the minimum drop of M3 springs, I'd probably go with Koni 8641-1021 for the front, and 80-2522 for the rear. They are intended for stock length strut housings, so they shouldn't be shorter than stock vs. a custom short body shock.
        -The off-the-shelf Koni rear shocks use the standard 10mm shock shaft, and require removal from the car to adjust. The top-adjustable rear Koni shocks are the ones that use the 12mm shock shaft, but these are generally custom revalved shocks sold by Ground Control or TC Kline for example.
        -The 205/50/16 is slightly taller than the 225/50/15 (24.1-inch diameter vs. 23.9-inches). The 15-inch tire selection with the correct e30 rolling diameter is fairly limited for street tires, so something to consider.

Hopefully this helps!
        I have ordered the koni's through Pelican. Their website has 3 rear sport konis available and some miss info. They have the 80-2641 as " fits the 1990 325i " when that is a M - Technic suspension or 318 with M42 engine only shock. I did find a guide off the web to help clarify things :

Comment

Working...
        X