Final word on 318is springs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final word on 318is springs?

Lots of good debate (years ago) about 50404 springs vs 29664 for a '91 318is. Obviously Bilstein sports all the way around.

Not going race, I don't need that much drop for a daily driver.

So what's the long-term verdict on the right spring to drop a 318is just enough to look right, but so much as to destroy the ride?

I've been more than happy with the 50404.55 H&R OE Sports. Using E46 14.5mm rear spring pads are a perfect fit and level the ride height out nicely.

Suspension install: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...49#post7014054

E46 Spring pad install: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...84#post7081484

Everything settled nicely and the car handles street and occasional HPDE duties well.

DSC_0527 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

DSC_0486 copy by mike.bevels, on Flickr

Comment

Interesting, not the Bilstein Sport shocks? What made you go with the 50404's rather than the 29664 springs?

- A

Comment

Originally posted by RandyMac View Post
        Interesting, not the Bilstein Sport shocks? What made you go with the 50404's rather than the 29664 springs?

- A
        Just Bilsten B4s for the 50404.55s (H&R OE sport springs). The B4s pair well with the 50404.55s as the spring rates are only slightly stiffer than stock. The 50404.55s don't lower the car like the regular sport or race springs, so shorter shocks aren't needed.

I went with the 50404.55s because they gave me the ride height I wanted.

Comment

Since you're in the same position I am, thoughts on the e90 drop hats in the front to get it down another few mm? My understanding is that a 4-cyl car would get just a little bit of drop out of the e90s, whereas the 6-cyl cars get 10mm+

Love the running history on your car, I'll spend some more time looking through there for sure!

- A

Comment

Originally posted by RandyMac View Post
            Since you're in the same position I am, thoughts on the e90 drop hats in the front to get it down another few mm? My understanding is that a 4-cyl car would get just a little bit of drop out of the e90s, whereas the 6-cyl cars get 10mm+

Love the running history on your car, I'll spend some more time looking through there for sure!

- A
            I think the e90 drop hats would make a nice addition. I've considered it, but my floor jack *just* clears my oil pan right now. As silly as it sounds I really like the convenience of NOT having to drive onto boards/ramps to reach the front cross member. My last suspension setup was installed by a previous owner and was much lower and softer, which didn't make for a good combination. I like the look of lowered e30s, but I like living with the ride height I've currently setup.

Comment

E90 upper perches change the ride height of all cars equally as they are a fixed metal component, total drop is something like 12mm. IMO, an E30 looks better with a little bit of rake, but adding E90 drop hats to OE Sport springs gives you about the same effective lowering as Sport springs and E30 perches.

Comment

A little late to this thread but I want to echo Mike above. I have been running the 50404.55's, Bilstein B4'S and E90 drop hats for @ 4 years. I switched out of the billy sports because the ride was just a touch harsh, especially the rear over decent bumps. To my "seat of the pants" I just felt the shocks weren't matching the springs, like they were in a little bit if a battle with each other. The B4's are perfect.

Comment

av8drvr , that looks great. That was my fear with the sports, a bit too much for the spring rates. The Ronals look great as well. I previously ran a set of those and they are fantastic wheels.

Comment

av8drvr Thanks for the comment, never too late! Well, especially in my case, I got the front apart and found the previous owner destroyed the threads on the outer ball joint for one site. Took those off and new control arms are on their way.

Which rear bottom spring pads did you go with? I did the same as mike.bmw (14mm) and love the position.

Now both of your comments have me thinking I should skip the sport shocks and go back to the B4s... even with the e90 drop hats, the B4 are preferred over the B8? I don't mind a slightly firmer ride if I stick with the sport shocks, are either of you aware of any other downside to them? I can't see to find much other than opinions both ways...

Thanks!
                    - A

Comment

As I finish up research on e90 drop hats... I'm also contemplating getting H&R sport springs for the front, and leaving the OE springs in the back. As guys who have clearly done their research, any thoughts?

Based on reviews, H&R's site, etc, seems like the front sports would get me maybe half an inch lower in the front?

- A

Comment

It really doesn't matter. E90 hats or OE Sports to Sports will achieve almost the same look for the same amount of work. The main difference will be cost. Both together would likely put an M42 oil pan in some jeopardy in normal driving.

Comment

The biggest difference I noticed when I switched from the B8's to B4's was harshness in the rear over bumps (railroad tracks for example), on smooth roads there was no discernible difference, but the violence happening in the back had me concerned. I used new OEM spring pads all around. I will say this, when I bought the E30 12 years ago the first thing I did was springs and shocks, and although that was great, when I actually completely refreshed all bushings front to rear a few years later I was blown away at the difference. It has been said a thousand times but a total bushing refresh is the greatest gift you can give to yourself. After that grab a E46 ZHP steering rack and get ready for nirvana in this chassis.

Comment

Working...
                          X