Spring decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring decision

So i recently swapped my 89 E30 with an S52 and would like to address the suspension. I currently have stock everything for the suspension. As far as what i am looking at i keep going back and forth between the H&R Race and H&R OE Sport springs. I have decided on adjustable Koni Yellows for the shocks. I also have a set of E90 drop hats i was going to throw on. I noticed the oil pan sits very low and would like to get a skid plate eventually, but i am trying to decide what i should do with the cars suspension first.

I have done research and found other posts, but everyone keeps throwing different opinions out/ the ride heights are different with the same setup. I had Bilstein Sports with H&R Sports on my old E30 and ride height was not an issue, but the damping was a tad aggressive over roads with a lot of pot holes, and it had a lot of body roll. From my understanding the Sports and OE Sports have the same spring rate, but lower the car a different amount.

I would like something sportier, but not completely dumped. I regularly go over decent sized speed bumps and live in SC.... The roads leave a little to be lacking here. Can you all post pictures/opinions of these different setups?

Race is just going to be too low for a street car, especially with a bit more weight up front. Sports are probably fine matched with Konis, but the reality is that for the best of all worlds you want coilovers. While I used to think that coils were not optimal for a street car I have come to realize that the world of spring and damper options that they open up make them the way to go 100% of the time for an other than stock sporty car.

This is my opinion after running a 318is with H&R Race/Koni and a 318i with H&R Sport & Bilsteins for years.

As an aside, my 318ti with an S52 seemingly rubbed everywhere with Races & Bilsteins, but was not overly harsh the way I would have expected from Bilsteins.

Comment

On my 24v swap car, I have Bilstein w/ H&R OE Sport springs and it works fine for a daily driver. I also have a skid plate, but the front end doesn't sit too low with the OE Sport springs. For normal driving the shock & spring combo works fine, but I agree with roguetoaster that coilovers offer more options. My other e30 has Koni w/GC coilovers, and even with stiff rates is a lot more fun to drive and still retains good ride quality (albeit subjective).

Comment

I keep looking at the GC Coilovers as an alternative to tailor the ride height and spring stiffness to what I want. My only issue with them is the price... I might end up going with GC/Konis once I get the swap and my finances a little more sorted.

Comment

Working...
        X