Importing Wheels to Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing Wheels to Canada

Any of my fellow Canucks had any experience importing wheels and/or tires from the U.S.? Tirerack and Discount Tire seem to have some really good prices and selection, but I am wary of the import charges.

Once you factor all the duties and customs charges, is it still worth it?

Cheers.
    BimmerheadBri
    '86 325 (eta)

Call customs and ask. They give you an exact quote.

Also, it hasn't been worth it for at least a decade now, but since the American dollar sucks hardcore right now you just may end up saving money.

Comment

I order stuff from the states all the time, I opened a brokerage account with UPS just south of the boarder and have the stuff shipped there.
      You can then drive down and broker it yourself, there is no duty on most auto parts and you will have to pay GST.

On the flipside many times tiretrends has been about the same cost after all is said and done.
      www.islandmma.com

Comment

I checked out Tiretrends website and they have NO wheels on their site for e30. Do you have to just call or what is the deal?
        BimmerheadBri
        '86 325 (eta)

Comment

Re: Importing Wheels to Canada

it's around 30-35 U$ per wheel

M

Originally posted by BimmerHeadBri
          Any of my fellow Canucks had any experience importing wheels and/or tires from the U.S.? Tirerack and Discount Tire seem to have some really good prices and selection, but I am wary of the import charges.

Once you factor all the duties and customs charges, is it still worth it?

Cheers.

Comment

find a friend just south of the border, ship them to his house, go pick them up and bring them across, say they were a gift from your friend, done and done... ;)
            Dan

Comment

I checked out Tiretrends website and they have NO wheels on their site for e30. Do you have to just call or what is the deal?
              There are, just look for wheels that are 4x100. The only ones that fit without spacers are the TSW Kaylami or whatever and some custom Kershers, but that's about it. IMO none of the wheels on there, save for the obvious BBS', are very attractive.

Comment

Re: Importing Wheels to Canada

Originally posted by Mike 91 318ic
                it's around 30-35 U$ per wheel

M
                It's calculated on the value of the wheels. So that figure could be way off.

Comment

Originally posted by DanGillan
                  find a friend just south of the border, ship them to his house, go pick them up and bring them across, say they were a gift from your friend, done and done... ;)
                  You'd still have to pay sales tax I believe, and a few other charges. There really isn't any way around it, besides lying to them and hoping they dont check the trunk.

Comment

Thanks Mystikal. I will check that out.

I agree that the BBS rims are sweet, but a bit on the pricey side too.

Cheers.
                    BimmerheadBri
                    '86 325 (eta)

Comment

Tiretrends also carries Keskin wheels
                      www.islandmma.com

Comment

Originally posted by DanGillan
                        better yet, find a friend south of the border who will ship your old ones back to you, and drive home with the new ones on. Then have the old wheels (cheapass bottlecaps, maybe) sent over and pay dirt cheap customs on those.

Comment

It all comes down to your personal threshold for lying at customs. It can be done, but some are better than others. Also, shine new wheels on a not so shiny car could raise some suspicion with the customs agents.

Thanks for the advice guys.
                          BimmerheadBri
                          '86 325 (eta)

Comment

It all comes down to your personal threshold for lying at customs. It can be done, but some are better than others. Also, shine new wheels on a not so shiny car could raise some suspicion with the customs agents.

Thanks for the advice guys.
                            make the trip 4 times.
                            1 new wheel in the spare tire well each time. ;)

or just pay the bad duties of the CA gov't.... :(
                            Below the radar...

Comment

Or have a buddy ferry them across when he's going to Mt. Tremblant. 8)
                              https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Working...
                              X