Offsets that work with 15x7 *answered* thank you greg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Offsets that work with 15x7 *answered* thank you greg

Before purchasing spacers, would ET22 15x7 wheels fine with 205/55s? I know Bill runs ET22 wheels and 225/50s on his early fender'ed car. With some rubbing/fender rolling to allow for it. So therefore, I'd think that ET22 15x7 and 205/55s would be fiiine.

But honestly, I don't think I will be running 225s on my Borbets, unless they are for daily driver and wide tires for show, so maybe ET22 won't matter.

For two reason I'm thinking about 8mm:
    1) H&R's are hubcentric I believe, unlike IE's 6.35mm spacers, if I understand correctly.
    2) The Borbets are probably going to remain streets wheels, and further out = better. :twisted:

But even if they are hubcentric as 6mm are not, TMS's are considerably more expensive. :x I think I'll look for a better deal.

Bottomline, I don't really feel like suffering any vibration because of spacers. And even though it may be for looks primarly, a wider track would be a good thing. And wider track could mean more stable and able to be smoother in Auto-X, etc. And if I feel like 225s on the ET22, I could probably make it work.

ET 18 to ET 26 for 15x7. I run 15x7 et 20
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Thank you Greg.

So ET19 would even work, (Kosei's + 8mm Spacers if I felt so inclined)

Comment

Lower rear arches I would do a trial fit first though. Every car is differant due to shock wear and spring sag and how much junk in the trunk you have.
        https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

junk in the trunk

ET19 would just be my planned future track wheels + tires on spacers for show on the street. For real driving, it'd go no spacers on the koseis. (not to mention additional weight reasons for doing so)

Comment

Ahem, I few words of wisdom (from the resident wheel/tire freak):

The 8mm spacers you are looking at claim to be "hubcentric", but they really are not (they are flat). H&R calls them that because the stock hub will still stick out past the spacer (it's obviously longer than 8mm), but if you try to use your baskets on them, it will vibrate like a mofo. In fact, any wheel with a tapered centerbore (every stock wheel, many aftermarket) will not work.

No true hubcentric spacer (meaning with the protruding lip) will be less than 15mm and still have the factory 57mm diameter. Think about it, really. The spacer is not thick enough to actually cover the entire hub lip, so if it does have it's own lip (which is still extremely rare), it will be oversized, (70+ mm).

In the end, you have a few variables to figure out. Do your Borbets use rings to center them, meaning they actually have an oversized-for-E30 centers? Then you may grab a set of under-15mm HC spacers (kinda rare) and run them. If the Borbets do have the correct E30/VW center, you have to go to at least 15mm to keep the vibes away. Also, no HC spacer under 15mm will work with your baskets.

And that's my cue to exit.

Comment

No spacers for baskets. They're worthless. Just Borbets and future Koseis. 'weaves may have snows on them if I ever drive during the winter (not this year), but spacers only for Borbets really.

Eh, I'll just pretend I didn't read all that, as I already ordered them. If all else fails, I can probably resell them used for as much as I bought them for. (On TMS classifieds, as I found a good deal on them online)

Comment

Hope you learned though, after searching many times on just about every forum I had to learn all of this the hard way.

My 10mm HC BBS spacers that came with my RX's were oversized, and I just snagged a set of 8mm HC spacers (hard to find) for pretty cheap, and they are too oversized. I'm praying my RS' are oversized in the bore, so I can use them. Otherwise I have the same logic, the things don't really depreciate anyways.

Did you order the 8mm H&R ones? Those will work with anything (no lip), but you will get some vibes if the wheels are tapered.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
                  Did you order the 8mm H&R ones? Those will work with anything (no lip), but you will get some vibes if the wheels are tapered.
                  Correct.

Hopefully won't bug me too much.

Comment

Working...
                  X