Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16x8 "style 5?" rims. Redrill or adapters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cardnation View Post
    I had a wild idea here so bare with me.

It seems like we are talking about a ~3mm difference in offset being the issue when running 18mm adapters.

Has anyone thought about shaving a couple mm off the inside hub, increasing the offset so say 26mm or 28mm?

There is A TON of metal in there.

Thoughts?
    You already have to run a spacer to clear the calipers. Removing material will do nothing but require more spacer. At et23 these fit well with adapters. I run my filled and drilled 17's with 10mm up front and 20mm in the rear. They are et20 originally

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Like the PNW E30 Local Crew Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by PNWDan View Post
      You already have to run a spacer to clear the calipers. Removing material will do nothing but require more spacer. At et23 these fit well with adapters. I run my filled and drilled 17's with 10mm up front and 20mm in the rear. They are et20 originally
      Not the same thing, 18mm is the smaller adapter available, you run 10mm up front which is not an option with adapters.

Shaving metal would increase the offset. Hence ET23 with 18mm adapters would equate to a +5 offset which as mentioned before leaves little room for tire/camber options. Shaving a few mm of metal would bump that up to +8 to +10, which is much more manageable.

Comment

One of you is taking about a fill n drill with spacers, the other is talking about adapters.

I talked to someone about shaving metal off the inside hub, and I was told that it decreases the strength greatly with every mm, and if it come down to that I should not be tunning the wheels.

I say you fill n drill. Best option period. If you want to run adapters. Go ahead, just pull/roll your fenders for a little more tire options.

Comment

running adapters from 8380 labs....I love the way they feel and mount.

Comment

Originally posted by jizo View Post
            running adapters from 8380 labs....I love the way they feel and mount.
            Lookin very good! What size rubber are you running?

Comment

Not the same thing, 18mm is the smaller adapter available, you run 10mm up front which is not an option with adapters.

Shaving metal would increase the offset. Hence ET23 with 18mm adapters would equate to a +5 offset which as mentioned before leaves little room for tire/camber options. Shaving a few mm of metal would bump that up to +8 to +10, which is much more manageable.

I see what your saying however I doubt you can remove more than 2-3mm without messing up the integrity of the wheel.

Most are running the 18mm adapters with zero issue

1987 Alpinweiß 325is

Like the PNW E30 Local Crew Facebook page

Comment

Lookin very good! What size rubber are you running?
                205/45 16 Falken

Comment

Originally posted by jizo View Post
                  205/45 16 Falken
                  You roll the fenders at all?
                  Are you on 18mm all around?

looks good.

Thanks, -Evan

Comment

the second link is mine and they're actually 20mm. the pics have bc coilovers freshly mounted and 205/45's and had rubbing issues but now i'm on 205/40 nexen n3000's and those problems are gone. there's also less rake.
                    Last edited by tk-421; 07-04-2012, 03:58 PM.
                    1990 E30 325i sedan - Gletscherblau (280) over Indigo cloth (0271)

Comment

Wow! I like the adapter'd style 5's....

Comment

just gonna leave this here...

a good explanation of why you should be buying these adapters:

OEM 5-lug style 5's are the most popular example of a wide range of stock BMW (and other manufacturers') wheels that people like to run on 4-lug e30s.

as i see it, there are several factors that must be taken into account when considering a modification like running 5-lug wheels on a 4-lug car:

1) what are the available options?

- full 5-lug suspension swap, redrill or adapters

2) are you planning on driving the car on the track or the street?

- i would not recommend adapters or a redrill for track applications

3) what is your budget?

- if we're talking about running a set of wheels for purely aesthetic purposes on a street car, only two of these options make sense from a budget/effort standpoint, and that would be a redrill or adapters.

4) which option will fit the best?

- let's say you were hell bent on a 5-lug swap. unless you're planning on purchasing a $1,500+ e30 m3 setup, a hacked together e36/z3/whatever setup is going to totally bugger the geometry (especially the front castor) those german engineers worked so hard to perfect. an e36/etc 5-lug swap also widens the track significantly, so your 5-lug wheels now bolt up directly, but fit the same way as they would with $400 adapters - except you spent way more money and effort to get there. also, if you want to change wheels it's much harder to reverse a 5-lug swap.

- fill and drill will allow you to retain the stock offsets, but you'll most likely end up needing to buy spacers to get the wheels to sit properly in the fenders - there's another $150+ on top of the $300+ you spent on the redrill...if you can find a place who will touch that project.

- we've sold quite a few sets of 18mm 4x100 > 5x120 adapters to e30 guys running style 5s and other 5-lug wheels - there are a bunch of pics and reviews in this thread...people are realizing the degree to which this 4-to-5-lug design has opened up their wheel options.

5) which option is the safest?

- if you've ever seen a 4x100 redrilled style 5 wheel, you'll know that to do that they must machine into the centerbore of the wheels. i personally wouldn't want to run those on my car, and it's the same reason many machinists will refuse to do the work. i know there are people out there who have run redrilled wheels safely, but if there's a price-competitive option that's more readily available and less of a safety gamble, i'd go that route, personally.

- a considerable amount of time was put into the research and development of this product line, and the result is a 4-to-5 lug adapter design that is revolutionary. i've been using adapters in some form or another for about 8 years now, and these are the best i've ever seen.

- from the modular hubcentric rings, to the use of studs (which makes installs much easier) and the design of the kidney-shaped adapter plate, which means no moving parts (compared to all other 4-to-5-lug adapter designs) - these are by far the best designed/built and safest adapters on the market, and the best choice if you want to quickly/easily/cheaply/safely run 5-lug wheels on your 4-lug car.

let me know if you have any questions, thanks.
                        8380 Laboratories
                        M3 Champs Poster

Comment

Just picked up my adapters from a member on here. How is the second piece installed? When I bolted them to the hub in order for the five lug to line up it is a little bit loose. Is it supposed to be this way?Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341701531.187634.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	7144272

Round piece fully tightened here. Doesn't line up.
                          sigpic

Comment

That is how they work, tighten them down back them off as needed. You can try different ones on different hubs and get them closer where you don't need to loosen them as much.

You might want to add a little grease or anti seize on them to make the adapter come off them easier in the future.

Also keep an eye on the threaded holes for the lug bolts, I ended up drilling/tapping and adding helicoils as the threads were failing. They really should come with studs and not lug bolts.
                            Last edited by whodwho; 07-07-2012, 04:25 PM.
                            My M20 Frankenbuild(s)
                            4 Sale - Fully Built TurnKey Megasquirt Plug and Play EMS

Comment

you put the stud in the wrong hole for the circular piece I think

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Thanks for the info. Just bolted on my Fundos. Tried that piece on the front wheel and it lined up better.
                                Way too much front poke at stock height. Need to install my springs and shocks and hopefully some natural camber will help.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341711688.347917.jpg
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	7144277

Front. 16x8 et23 18mm adaptec 205/45/16. Stock Coils.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341711787.188583.jpg
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	7144278
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X