Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

16x8 "style 5?" rims. Redrill or adapters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bimmerguy91 View Post
    Adapters are the best solution IMO better fit and safer
    so, one year on...
    Would this statement still be the general consensus when talking about fitting the Style 5's to 4 lug E30's?

I've seen the photos of some re-drill jobs on these wheels, and most of them look rather terrifying (a recent FS thread comes to mind ). Even the 'professional' jobs leave only a husk of metal between lug hole and centre bore...

Comment

I'm going to be calling a local shop today that does fill'n'drills, its also says on their services page the can "Make wheels hub centric". If they do this by welding in more aluminum and machining it'll be perfect. However I have a sneaking suspicion it'll be astronomically expensive. Keeping my fingers crossed.
      1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
      1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
      bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

i'm finally ready to do these wheels and i need to make a decision on which route to take. i have a few concerns with the adapters, one is that they would put a lot of stress on the hubs therefore the wheel bearings fail prematurely. another complaint i have heard from several that run them say that they need to be re-tightened periodically (they get loose from normal driving) another person stated to me that they are ok if you do not drive "spirited" or take corners hard.

i would welcome some insight on this, is any of this "far-fetched"?

Comment

@Lee22 , I have been running the adapters for 2 years, have had no issues . Haven't had an issue with them coming loose either. If your not putting the car on the track, you'll probly be fine, I drive pretty "spirited"! I think it's a better option than fill/drills , I priced out fill/drill and it would cost ~$1000 without even refinishing at a local shop... Not worth it to me.

Comment

Wheelflip.com in Santa Fe Springs does fill and drill for $200

Comment

Originally posted by Lee22 View Post
              i'm finally ready to do these wheels and i need to make a decision on which route to take. i have a few concerns with the adapters, one is that they would put a lot of stress on the hubs therefore the wheel bearings fail prematurely. another complaint i have heard from several that run them say that they need to be re-tightened periodically (they get loose from normal driving) another person stated to me that they are ok if you do not drive "spirited" or take corners hard.

i would welcome some insight on this, is any of this "far-fetched"?
              I've had my adapters on for a year or two and I'd say I drive "spirited" 90% of the time I'm in my car. They have yet to come loose and I have attended a drift day or two while using the adapters on the back and 5 total with them on the front. I wouldn't worry about them personally.

Comment

Hey,

Please, someone can tell me if there is a difference between E34, E38 and E39 style 5?

Thinks

Comment

Originally posted by Arth.e30 View Post
                  Hey,

Please, someone can tell me if there is a difference between E34, E38 and E39 style 5?

Thinks
                  E39 style 5's are the most desire kind, also know as BBS RC090, they are two piece wheel very light. Hope that helps, also there is a set for sale in NJ, princeton are 1,000$
                  '91 318is Alpinweiss/Gray cloth Gone
                  '90 325i Schwartz/Tan Gone
                  '88 325ix Brillanrot/Blk Restored & sold
                  '91 318is Alpinweiss/Tan Restoring

:twisted:

Comment

Originally posted by NC318e30 View Post
                    I've had my adapters on for a year or two and I'd say I drive "spirited" 90% of the time I'm in my car. They have yet to come loose and I have attended a drift day or two while using the adapters on the back and 5 total with them on the front. I wouldn't worry about them personally.
                    Fuck, I accidentally drove 100mi with just one lug from the hub to the adapter having a nut on it. It didn't make any noise or vibrate. I don't know how the thing didn't fail.
                    91 318is - Gone
                    16 VW GTI
                    07 Aprilia Tuono

Comment

Just finished refurbishing the 16x8 et23 style 5's I got off CL filled and drilled. Getting new rubber this week can't decide on size. Question: will these fit my lowered e30 without a spacer up front? I haven't even mocked them up yet? Tire suggestions?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 916e30Dave View Post
                        Just finished refurbishing the 16x8 et23 style 5's I got off CL filled and drilled. Getting new rubber this week can't decide on size. Question: will these fit my lowered e30 without a spacer up front? I haven't even mocked them up yet? Tire suggestions?

Probably going to hit your brakes, I had to run 5mm spacers up front and went 8mm spacers in the rear to clear and also sit flush with body. Also, I ran 205/45's for rubber.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

DaveDel82 what size lug bolts did you use? Or where do you get those

Comment

Originally posted by 916e30Dave View Post
                              DaveDel82 what size lug bolts did you use? Or where do you get those

Don't remember where I got them, or how long they are. I just know I needed longer lugs. Sorry couldn't be more help

Comment

Thanks I figured that out but the 5mm spacers up front were not enough. Looks like I need 10-12mm. I bought 6mm spacers and they were hitting so I had to stack them to clear the caliper.

Comment

Working...
                                X