16" vs. 17"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16" vs. 17"

Which size rim / tire size is reccomended for road racing/autocrossing? Also, needs to look good : ) I really like 16 x 7.5 wheels on an E30, but I'm having a hard time finding a large selection of 16" wheels with a nice deep lip.(i only know of a few)

15x7 .5 in less of rim width and less rotational mass, Why do you need a 17" wheel? Are you buying racing wheels or fashion statements?

two totally differant animals.

Comment

If you're looking for a racing/auto-x wheel, what difference does it make how much lip it has :roll: You should really be more concerned with weight

Because of E30s' intended overall wheel/tire diameter and the size of our fenderwells, there are only a few good tire choices in 17" wheels, especially if they're only 7" wide.

You definitely don't need to go over 16" unless you have large enough brakes that would require bigger wheels.

Buy Kosei K1's in 15x7, and use 225/50/15 tires. They're wicked light, and fairly cheap. And you'll have a pretty good selection of tires in that size. Or better yet, get them custom drilled in 15x8 so that 225's fit even better. You can get 16x7.5" K1s made too.

Comment

16x7.5 is a good choice, works well with 225/45 tires.
        Tirerack sells Kosei K1's in that size that they can drill for 4x100. Also, if you're running 225's, you want to shoot for an offset between et20 and et27.
        '91 318is
        sigpic

Comment

I'm a fan of 15's, but the stickiest street tires don't come in 225/50/15. I went 16" for the 225/45/16 Hankook R-S2. There are LOTS of 16x7.5" 4x100 wheels with a little lip, check out www.tunershop.com

Comment

Working...
          X