Which tire for my driving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which tire for my driving?

I have a 90 325I with lsd and 5spd manual, I am getting it aligned next week and ordering tires at the same time, the tire size I need is a 205/50/15 (that's whats currently on the car, and with it being low, works great!). Now question, which tires to get? This car will see 3-4 track days a year, but mostly daily driven (including rain, it won't see snow, but if there is no snow it will see temps below 20*F in winter). Another thing, I just put new tires on my other car (Miata, used for track, summer fun) and the tires I just put on it follow the groves in the highway really bad which drives me insane! So I need some tires that won't do that either
    * Need a tire that is year round wet/dry/cold temp friendly
    *Won't follow grooves in the highway
    * Must be 205/50/15 size (unless another size will work with bilstein/H&R set up?)
    Any suggestions?
    1990 325i 5spd
    09 135i 6spd m-sport package

Either the new Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A or the Dunlop Direzza ZII. Haven't run the "new" RE-11, but the original one was amazing. I have driven the new ZII and that is also a great tire. I currently run the new BFG Rivals, but noticing the tread wear in my first 6 auto-x's I would think they would only make it through 2 track days......depending on the track and # of laps.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by I8UR911 View Post
      Either the new Bridgestone Potenza RE-11A or the Dunlop Direzza ZII. Haven't run the "new" RE-11, but the original one was amazing. I have driven the new ZII and that is also a great tire. I currently run the new BFG Rivals, but noticing the tread wear in my first 6 auto-x's I would think they would only make it through 2 track days......depending on the track and # of laps.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
      Thank you for the suggestions, how are the Z11 for wet traction?
      I have been doing extensive research and you have hit it right on the money! I have my tire choice narrowed down to these 2
      Potenza RE-11A
      Direzza ZII
      Ive been reading reviews on them, looking at the specs, pricing is damn near the same ($5 per tire difference), and I am having a hard time deciding.
      Help?
      Last edited by Helltime; 08-20-2013, 09:19 PM.
      1990 325i 5spd

Comment

dunlop starspec z2. or Falken fk453. both are all around good sporty tires. the falken will do better in the rain and is cheaper, z2 a little better in the dry.
        IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

It looks like I will be going with the bridgestones, I have a friend who can get me a hell of a deal on them (about $85 a tire) so that made my mind up. Thanks for the suggestions, the car is almost road worthy again, can't wait to get it going! (bought this car broken and sitting for 2 years, dirt cheap and rust free :D).
          1990 325i 5spd

Comment

I think you'll love the Bridgestones. I loved my original RE-11's.

Check us out at TurnerMotorsport.com. With a 20,000 sq/ft warehouse, we stock everything!

Comment

Just an update, I bought the Potenza RE-11A's and wow am I impressed, their wet traction is great, their dry traction is amazing. Best summer tire I have ever ran, hands down.
              1990 325i 5spd

Comment

Wish these tires came in 14.
                Last edited by GillesBigCowboy; 09-26-2013, 02:43 PM. Reason: Duh

87 4dr specE30: Bitsy (lurking above), 89 4dr 325i blau, 91 318is brillrot, 90 325ivertbronzit

Comment

Good choice! The new extreme summer tires are as good as r-comps from a decade ago without the side effects of running slicks.

For others reading this thread, I run bfg rivals and like them so far. On the was back to co from ca, I hit a few rainstorms and the tires were fine. Visibility was about 100 feet the rain was Comming down so hard and I was able to keep up with highway traffic and experienced no hydro planing.

They work great on the track too.
                  My E30 v1.0 | v2.0 | v3.0 | My E28 |My E34 | My feedback

Comment

Working...
                  X