Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me identify these BBS and decide what to do.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me identify these BBS and decide what to do.

So I have been looking for some 14" weaves and I bought these yesterday off this old guy off craigslist that was totally clueless. I went to look at them and see the offset was 35 which I dont want and means they probably arent for BMW but he said he would take $90 for them so I bought them. Came with 3 center caps, and 1 new BMW BBS center cap that doesnt fit that I am pretty sure is for the 15" weaves, and worth probably half of what I paid for the wheels. Im trying to figure out what these wheels are for because Im pretty sure they are not BMW wheels. And if I cant run them, I will sell them. The guy said they were originally gold , wish they still were, but he sprayed em, :roll: and its not a great job. He ran them on his Miata, and the guy he bought them from told him they were off a BMW, but I dont think thats right because I measured the CB with a tape and am pretty sure its 56.1.

Specs

BBS
    14x6.5
    4x100
    ET35

Wheels say "Made in Germany", but center caps say "Made in W. Germany", which I guess means the caps arent original and gives an idea of the age of both.

I was thinking about getting some 5mm spacers and just running them, but if the CB is 56.1 then I dont know if I can run them. However, some of the 5mm spacers I have seen are just flat all the way across and dont have any lip.

Im not opposed to running these with some 5mm spacers, I might try to strip that silver paint off to expose the gold. Im just not sure what these are exactly or what I can/should do with them....

Info? Opinions?
    Attached Files
    1988 325i 4dr/5sp Lachssilber Metallic/Black Leather
    2003 540iT M Sport, Black Sapphire/Black

Im wondering if these were just straight up BBS wheels bought from BBS that didnt come factory on any particular make/model of vehicle. I think that Honda has a 56.1 CB but I read somewhere that Hondas are lug-centric so just because these are 56.1 doesnt necessarily mean that these had to have been made for a Honda.

Comment

What's the big whoop here, 5mm of offset? If you wanted basketweaves then run them.
      1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
      1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
      1974 2002tii / stock
      2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Trollin
        @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Originally posted by mkcman17 View Post
          What's the big whoop here, 5mm of offset? If you wanted basketweaves then run them.
          Because if anything, I would want less offset than the 30mm on the stock weaves. And 5mm spacers are cheaper than 10 etc.... And will wheels with a 56.1 mm CB fit an E30? And I dont know if the higher offset will cause rubbing issues on the inside. Do you have any answers to any of my questions?

Comment

Originally posted by studawg View Post
            Because if anything, I would want less offset than the 30mm on the stock weaves. And 5mm spacers are cheaper than 10 etc.... And will wheels with a 56.1 mm CB fit an E30? And I dont know if the higher offset will cause rubbing issues on the inside. Do you have any answers to any of my questions?

Okay, jackass.

1) 5mm is roughly 1/5 of one inch. You will not be able to visually tell the difference ie. a factory weave.

2) Why don't you try and fit a wheel to the hub or use a micrometer instead of guessing the CB with a measuring tape?

3) No, 56.1 will not fit on an e30 hub.

4) No, a 6.5" et35 wheel will not even be close to rubbing the strut.
            1974 2002tii / stock
            2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Seems like those are Miata wheels then. E30s have a 57.1 center bore for 4 lug, and the factory offset for the 14x6.5 found on the iS cars should be et30. If the centerbore is 56.1 like you said, then you'd need to get the center bore enlarged. For all the effort you may as well find a set of wheels made for the e30 since there's not much of a market for 14 inch wheels these days, not to mention good tires! For your extra center cap, if it measures 171mm, then it's for a 15 inch wheel, as 14 inch caps measure 151mm. Hopefully this answers some of your questions.

--Joey

Comment

Bahahahaha, someone forgot to put sugar in their cereal this morning.

I <3 R3V
                @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Okay, jackass.

1) 5mm is roughly 1/5 of one inch. You will not be able to visually tell the difference ie. a factory weave.

2) Why don't you try and fit a wheel to the hub or use a micrometer instead of guessing the CB with a measuring tape?

3) No, 56.1 will not fit on an e30 hub.

4) No, a 6.5" et35 wheel will not even be close to rubbing the strut.
                  You are calling me a jackass? I just posted some questions, you are the troll that responded with the smartass comments. Why you gotta act like such a punk?

1. I can do the conversion, thanks. I have xray vision and can tell the difference.

2. Because I dont have the car here right now. I tried using my micrometer but it wont fit inside the back of the wheel to make the measurement.

3. But I thought you said, "if you wanted basketweaves, run them" ??

4. Thank you for that! Now we are getting somewhere! You see how easy that was?

Did you miss your morning nap or something? :D

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
                    Seems like those are Miata wheels then. E30s have a 57.1 center bore for 4 lug, and the factory offset for the 14x6.5 found on the iS cars should be et30. If the centerbore is 56.1 like you said, then you'd need to get the center bore enlarged. For all the effort you may as well find a set of wheels made for the e30 since there's not much of a market for 14 inch wheels these days, not to mention good tires! For your extra center cap, if it measures 171mm, then it's for a 15 inch wheel, as 14 inch caps measure 151mm. Hopefully this answers some of your questions.

--Joey
                    Thx Joey, that does help. The specs that I found on the Miata BBS wheels were different than these, higher offset. As a matter of fact, I could not find any factory wheel which matched these specs. Not Honda, VW, Mazda or BMW; thus the creation of this thread. Could I not just run some 5mm flat spacers and that solve the issue with the CB differences?

Comment

The hub bore flange is taller than 5mm, you would need the wheels milled out to fit if 56.1
                      1974 2002tii / stock
                      2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

The hub bore flange is taller than 5mm, you would need the wheels milled out to fit if 56.1
                        Thank you, thats exactly what I was wondering. Nice collection of cars you have there by the way.

Comment

Thank you, sir. If these wheels turn out to be 57.1 you may have come up on a very cheap set of decent weaves. Good luck!
                          1974 2002tii / stock
                          2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Comment

Working...
                          X