Powdercoating wheels to black

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powdercoating wheels to black

I am going to powdercoat my spokes to black. They are J-line wheels and are a clear polish coating. NOT CHROME, despite what the pictures look like.

The guy who is going to do it said that i'm taking a big chance with it because when he bakes the clear coat on, the 400F oven will make the clear coat on the lip bubble because general clear coat paint can't take the heat..

Is this true? What can be done about it...
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

Recent Rebranding!!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Don't want to spread misinformation but everything I've always read says if they're aluminum dont powdercoat, paint due to aluminum cracking (sometimes you cant see it)

clear as mud: http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.c...=151053&page=8

Comment

Wow, yeah i think that they're aluminum, or they wouldnt' be so damn light.
        Recent Rebranding!!
        E30 SM62/S62
        E30 M60 V8
        E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

It depends on what the current "clear polish" coating is - -
          If it's spray clear, wont work!! Very few wheel refinishers/powder coaters
          can do a clear powder coat over a paint base coat & do it correctly -- you end up with flaws as the paint base coat can't take the heat when they bake the clear coat over it. The heat drives off more solvents from the paint, that causes the blems as they can't get out through the clear powdercoat when it's baking.

If your wheel is raw alluminum buffed to a shine then it should't be a problem.
          They need to be cleaned so the powdercoat has something to stick to, then he just does it in 2 steps - one to do the black & one to do the clear.
          [I

Comment

Contact J-line. Most wheels are powdercoated in the factory.

Comment

The wheels will be fine! It's only on cheap cast Aluminum that you need to worry. I powder coated my SSR GT3's Matte Black for my B5 S4, and they came out Sic!!

Oh, and you have to have the clear coat sanded off and then have the wheels repolished or they will get jacked up. Only thing is that once you do that, you have to constantly polish and clean your wheels to keep them from getting spots. Worth it in my opinion!

e30 325is - e30 M3 [FOR SALE] - Audi S4 - '78 F-250 .....clicky clicky

Comment

Depends also on the shops expertise. I use a shop that does powdercoationg on stuff for Sikorsky helicopters so they know how much heat to use while baking them.

Comment

Sikorsky sucks!! Boeing rules!! Just playing. I was a Helicopter Crew Chief on CH-46E's(Boeing) for the USMC.

Originally posted by SchnellerVert
                  Depends also on the shops expertise. I use a shop that does powdercoationg on stuff for Sikorsky helicopters so they know how much heat to use while baking them.
                  Back on topic: This is true. If you get them done at a place that usually does basic metel powder coating, ie... Fences, gates, and other industrial products, you are really taking a chance. Because they are use to working on raw steel industrial products that have little consiquence if they crack.

The place that did my wheels powder coats $70k Sand Rails, so they knew what they were doing. I would highly suggest finding a place like that, instead of an intusdrial P/C shop.

Good Luck

e30 325is - e30 M3 [FOR SALE] - Audi S4 - '78 F-250 .....clicky clicky

Comment

Originally posted by SoCal Life
                    Sikorsky sucks!! Boeing rules!! Just playing. I was a Helicopter Crew Chief on CH-46E's(Boeing) for the USMC.

Forget boeing or sikorsky... Lockheed is champ here.. lol i'm working on the A10, which i like. lol oh well. Thanx for the help guys. I'll see and shop around to see what the going rate is for stuff like this... i'm thinking like $60/wheel...
                    Recent Rebranding!!
                    E30 SM62/S62
                    E30 M60 V8
                    E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Working...
                    X