Hubcentric newb question on thin spacers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hubcentric newb question on thin spacers

I've never messed with hubcentric stuff before, not aware of ever needing it, hopefully this isn't too dumb of a question.....

I have E21 Alpina wheels on my E30 which require a 3mm spacer in the front to clear the caliper. This spacer has no sort of sized hubcentric ring, and I have realized that my front wheels are only centering themselves from the conical lugs, unlike the rear which very positively locks onto the hub before installing the lugs. I am looking at other 3mm thick 57.1mm hub spacers and they all look the same as what I have. Is the front not supposed to lock onto the hub like the rear does? Do you just have to go without when using such a small spacer? It actually doesn't appear like the wheel would fit on the hub any tighter if the spacer were not there.

I mainly ask because I still have a front end shake at ~75mph even after wheel balancing and all new ball joints/bushings/stc..

Thanks for your input.
    sigpic
    1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

There is a machined portion of the hub that ideally the wheel locates on thus making it hubcentric. Usually the center of the hub area is taller than the actual machined hubcentric area .

For a spacer to be hubcentric, it must be at least a few millimeters taller than the height of the center of the hub so it can neck down to an ID dimension smaller than the center of the hub and create a new hubcentric area.

This usually is around 10-12mm at a minimum. If you run a spacer thinner than that, your wheel can no longer be hubcentric. Certain wheels with a very small center chamfer will still retain hubcentricness with a very small spacer like 3mm.
    Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
    The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

That totally makes sense, sounds like "just one of those things." Thank you.
      sigpic
      1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Working...
      X