Looking for opinion on best tires for an unmolested iX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My '89 iX basketweaves need new rubber. Any recommendation on a tire to best maintain the original look of the car, and have a little performance, too?

Details:
    * I drive about 3k miles/year, mostly in the city (duh).
    * Car is stored in the winter.
    * Cost is really not a huge deal; I want to invest in what's best for this car.

Thanks for any suggestions.

It depends on what type of tire feel you prefer... Is the suspension completely 100% stock?. A non tuned suspension can only make use of so much tire until it is a matter of geometry limitations (mostly due to chassis body roll). If vintage correct "look" is the driving factor in your decision, I'm not sure "performance" is even much of an option as the selection of rubber in smaller sizes is becoming quite limited these these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LEANE30; 11-06-2018, 09:34 AM.
    ...what hasn’t been done to an m20 yet?

m20 Oil Stencil

Comment

The original rubber was probably a Pirelli P600 which has distinct tread blocks.

Nearest tire to that today in stock size is a Kumho 4X, but that's not really a performance tire.

Dunlop DZ102s, Yokohama S.Drives, or Kumho Ecsta PS31s are all more performance oriented summer tires, but they all have a more modern appearance, with the Dunlops probably offering the most classic appearance.

Comment

Working...
      X