This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Official WHEEL FITMENT Thread

Here is a nice little chart of what and how wheels and tires will fit on our cars. Just remember, to me, it gets pretty complicated, and the subject of wheel fitment can get very delicate as the means of discussion will become mostly cosmetic.

OFFSETS
    How to use this chart:
    Width, Offsets that will fit: [B]<Lowest that will fit> Decent fitment <Highest that will fit>

x6.0" Offsets that will fit: <ET-40>ET10-ET35<ET40> Optimal: ET30;

x6.5" Offsets that will fit: <ET-35>ET10-ET35<ET45> Optimal: ET27; Flush: ET05

x7.0" Offsets that will fit: <ET-30>ET15-ET35<ET45> Optimal: ET27; Flush: ET05

x7.5" Offsets that will fit: <ET-25>ET10-ET30<ET40> Optimal: ET23; Flush: ET00

x8.0" Offsets that will fit: <ET-20>ET10-ET25<ET35> Optimal: ET18; Flush: ET00

x8.5" Offsets that will fit: <ET-15>ET00-ET20<ET30> Optimal: ET15; Flush: ET-05

x9.0" Offsets that will fit: <ET-10>ET00-ET15<ET25> Optimal: ET10; Flush: ET-05

Generally, you want to try stick within five millimeters of the Optimal offset.
    The FLUSH offset recommendation is fueled by nothing more than a matter of opinion and you may disagree. My opinion of a "flush" fitment would be, the rim of the wheel, the lip, is PERFECTLY FLUSH with the fender, meaning if you lay a long, flat object against the fender, it should touch both the fender and wheel.

About the first set of ET in brackets:
    You can wean between the first ET and the average ET, but you may have to do some fender rolling, or an extreme tire fitment, something involved.

About the second set of ET in brackets:
    You can go between the average ET and the last ET, but you will have to use spacers to push the wheel out to prevent the wheel from striking the shock/strut.

================================================== ==============================================

TIRES
    This is nothing more than a chart of recommended tire sizes. The sizes will go from narrowest to widest. Sizes in bold are most common.

14"
    205/55, 215/55, 195/60, 205/60, 195/65, 205/65, 215/60

15"
    205/50, 215/50, 225/50 195/55, 205/55, 215/55, 225/55

16"
    195/40, 205/40, 215/40, 195/45, 205/45, 215/45, 225/45, 195/50, 205/50, 215/50, 225/50, 195/55

17"
    205/40, 215/40, 225/40, 235/40, 195/45, 205/45

This junk was off the top of my head and I recommend discussion before going out and using this as a reference. Feel free to post and request any changes, additions, or omittance.
    Last edited by 92 mtechnic cabrio; 02-15-2007, 09:15 AM.
    R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Great Thread!!

Good timing too..as after the m50 swap...
    im be gettin some baller rims lol..
    -Frank
    1987 325is m50nv (schwarz)
    1990 325is (sterling silber)(sold)
    2001 525i

Comment

Stretch haters beware.
      Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
      EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
      FullOpp Stickers for sale!
      NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
      Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
      ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

No 18's?
        '89 "is" = M technic II build mode.

sigpic

Comment

i dont really understand the offset part, which applies to front and rear?

mtech1/2jzgte/r154/275tire
          function>form

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrift View Post
            Stretch haters beware.
            Ditto...

Every day I wake up we drink a lot of coffee and watch the CNN
            Every day I wake up to a bowl of clover honey and let the locusts fly in.
            Lobsterbacks attack the town again
            Wrap all my things in aluminum
            Beams of darkness streak across the sky
            Pink rays from the ancient satellite
            Every time I look out my window same three dogs looking back at me.
            Every time I open my windows cranes fly in to terrorize me.

Comment

I don't get it. Shouldn't "decent fit" fall between the lowest and highest numbers?

Comment

how about something along the lines of (numbers aren't right, just illustrating):
                Width -- Target offset +/- 3mm (after spacers, and assuming not overly wide tires)
                6.5" wheel - et 30
                7" wheel - et25
                7.5" wheel - et20
                8" wheel - et14
                8.5" wheel - et7

Comment

what about 18" wheels, what does ET stand for
                  sigpic
                  '89' E30 with Euro S50B30

Comment

Maybe mention that the offset you can get away with depends on the rim dia, eg 17x7 can have a higher numerical offset than 15x7 (assuming you have caliper clearance)

also, think you have a typo, under 15" tyres ou have 225/55, shouldn't it be 225/50?

Comment

225/40r17 tires are pretty much nonexistant. If you know of any PM me. Good thread though.
                      sigpic

Comment

This website is for sale! tiretrends.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, tiretrends.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Originally posted by dmoney(AB) View Post
                          i dont really understand the offset part, which applies to front and rear?
                          On our cars it doesn't really matter, non ix at least. You can swap the front wheels for the rear all day long. But generally, you can just get a spacer that is 3-5mm thick for the rear when it comes to fender fitment. Because, what are the chances of a wheel manufacturer making a wheel with a slightly different offset just for the rears of an E30? When someone runs a staggered setup, they get different width wheels, usually; not different offset wheels of the same width.

Comment

Originally posted by mck View Post
                            what about 18" wheels, what does ET stand for
                            The chart is for how wide of a wheel you're getting, offsets generally are universal unless you get down to the nitty gritty about caliper clearance, which is different among wheel brands.

Just look at the tires for the smaller wheels and follow the trend.

ET is the letter indicator before the offset on a wheel. Usually when you look on the wheel somewhere, whether it is the backside of the face, frontside of the face, or a sticker on the backside lip, it will always have (unless removed by consumer) the four digits, ET##. The number is measured in millimeters. Offset is merely the distance from the centerline of the wheel to the face of the mounting surface of the wheel that contacts the hub.
                            Last edited by 92 mtechnic cabrio; 02-15-2007, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Borat View Post
                              Maybe mention that the offset you can get away with depends on the rim dia, eg 17x7 can have a higher numerical offset than 15x7 (assuming you have caliper clearance)

also, think you have a typo, under 15" tyres ou have 225/55, shouldn't it be 225/50?
                              fixed

Comment

Working...
                              X