Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ASK ALL WHEEL/TIRE FITMENT QUESTIONS HERE - The Official Wheel/Tire Fitment Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

for reference I'm running 235/40/17 all around on 17x8" bbs RC wheels (et38) with 15mm spacers (effectively 23mm) and ground control coilovers so I have a ton of suspension clearance and fender clearance.

I'll be getting 235 r compounds mounted on 8.5" wheels shortly and it should take advantage of that extra space not being used now

ApexRaceParts.com - Facebook - Twitter

Comment

Thought I'd share that I just mounted 205 50 16s on et35 bbs rk (16x7). I took 8 mm spacers with me just in case, but after I test fitted and they vibrated, I didnt want to run them at all. I might be able to fit a piece of paper in between the tire and strut, but they dont rub.
      Old and improved:

Comment

Originally posted by mck View Post
        Ive just ordered that exact setup. except the closest they will get with the offsets is

18x8 +26 rim depth (62mm)
        18x9 +33 rim depth (75mm)

Mine should arive this week already late 3 weeks. Ill post pics once there on.
        Please let me know exactly what you think when you get them, and how much rolling you have to do. I really want to run these. Post lots and lots of pics! :)

Josh
        '89 "is" = M technic II build mode.

sigpic

Comment

Getting Borbet A's and want to make sure I get the offset right. (got an E30 touring that will be lowered via the H&R cup kit 60/40 drop)

They will be staggered 16x7.5 up front and 16x9 in the rear

I bought them Today from tunershop.com and they will double check before they ship... any help would be great

Ty
          Last edited by TouringTy; 09-06-2007, 09:27 PM. Reason: forgot to add size

Comment

Originally posted by rhett325i View Post
            So, I have a late model with the lower rear fenders, riding on H&R Sport springs. My rear fenders are rolled, front untouched, currently running 16x7 ET 25 with 225/40/16 all around. What size wheels and tires do I need to run 245s all around? I can roll the fenders a little more, but I don't want to get crazy at all with it. I also want the tires to tuck behind the rear fenders.
            Best way to get 245's under the fenders is 17" wheels. 245/35/17 combined with proper offset wheels (say...17x8.5" ET25) would work perfectly. Now finding that wheel setup is the hard part.

In all honesty, anything higher than 225 on a non-competition E30 isn't helping anything.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by speedhop View Post
              so i found some 16x10 and 16x9.5 and the offset is custom to your liking...what would be an agreeable offset with euro stretch in mind? Seems like it was answered by egk2 ^^ but just to make sure. 215/40/16 in front 225/40/16 in back? Does this sound good?
              Front: ET5 16x9.5" 215/40/16
              Rear: ET0 16x10" 225/40/16

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by EtaSport View Post
                Thought I'd share that I just mounted 205 50 16s on et35 bbs rk (16x7). I took 8 mm spacers with me just in case, but after I test fitted and they vibrated, I didnt want to run them at all. I might be able to fit a piece of paper in between the tire and strut, but they dont rub.
                That is correct. The clearance is so close that with even the same tire size but wheels that are 0.5" wider (i.e. it's 6mm further in), the wheels can't spin.

Oh, and get 15mm hubcentric spacers. It will look great, and won't rub.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by TouringTy View Post
                  Getting Borbet A's and want to make sure I get the offset right. (got an E30 touring that will be lowered via the H&R cup kit 60/40 drop)

They will be staggered 16x7.5 up front and 16x9 in the rear

I bought them Today from tunershop.com and they will double check before they ship... any help would be great

Ty
                  ET20 front and ET15 rear the popular setup. I'd personally go with the VW fitment of 16x9 ET25 for the rear, makes fitting proper tires A LOT easier.

Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
                    ET20 front and ET15 rear the popular setup. I'd personally go with the VW fitment of 16x9 ET25 for the rear, makes fitting proper tires A LOT easier.

Jay
                    Does that bring the rim further in or out? and what would you recomend for a proper tire size. Keep in mind I don't mind rolling or even flaring if I have too.

thanks,
                    ty

Comment

Does that bring the rim further in or out? and what would you recomend for a proper tire size. Keep in mind I don't mind rolling or even flaring if I have too.

thanks,
                      ty
                      Further in, gives more fender clearance.

By "proper" tire size I mean one that stays close to the stock rolling diameter, meaning that your speedo will read correct, etc. With ET20F and ET25R, I'd get 205/50/16 and 225/45/16 tires, respectively. Would only need a minor fender roll on the rear. With the ET15 E30-common version, anything bigger than a 215 in the back is asking for trouble.

Jay

Comment

Front: ET5 16x9.5" 215/40/16
                        Rear: ET0 16x10" 225/40/16

Jay

You really are the wheel god...someone should knight you

thanks a bunch for the confirmation :D

edit: if I were to hypothetically change the fronts to 16x8...et20 and 205/40/16?
                        Last edited by speedhop; 09-07-2007, 03:46 PM.
                        www.ryanwhopkins.com

Comment

Further in, gives more fender clearance.

By "proper" tire size I mean one that stays close to the stock rolling diameter, meaning that your speedo will read correct, etc. With ET20F and ET25R, I'd get 205/50/16 and 225/45/16 tires, respectively. Would only need a minor fender roll on the rear. With the ET15 E30-common version, anything bigger than a 215 in the back is asking for trouble.

Jay
                          Thanks for the quick reply! got a few more Q's...
                          I am OK with speedo not being accurate but as far as handling goes what Rear et+tire set up would be preferred with these Borbet A's, the et15 with 215/40/16... OR... the et25 225/45/16

And does lowering it 60f/40r (H&R cupkit) make a difference in the above set up recomended?

Also do you know if this Rear et25 225/45/16 has been done on an e30?

And last but not least a tire choice, I live in Vancouver so I'll see a lot of rain and some cold days too (not toronto cold!!)?

Your advice here is greatly appreciated,so a million thanks in advance!!!

Ty

Comment

Originally posted by speedhop View Post
                            You really are the wheel god...someone should knight you

thanks a bunch for the confirmation :D

edit: if I were to hypothetically change the fronts to 16x8...et20 and 205/40/16?
                            Thanks a lot man, although knowing that I'm helping everyone is a reward on its own, it's nice to hear someone so genuinely pleased!

That 16x8 setup will work fine, but it will be drastically "in" the fenders compared to the rear setup. It will look kinda goofy, in my opinion. For numbers sake, the rears will be sticking out 45mm further!

Jay

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply! got a few more Q's...
                              I am OK with speedo not being accurate but as far as handling goes what Rear et+tire set up would be preferred with these Borbet A's, the et15 with 215/40/16... OR... the et25 225/45/16

And does lowering it 60f/40r (H&R cupkit) make a difference in the above set up recomended?

Also do you know if this Rear et25 225/45/16 has been done on an e30?

And last but not least a tire choice, I live in Vancouver so I'll see a lot of rain and some cold days too (not toronto cold!!)?

Your advice here is greatly appreciated,so a million thanks in advance!!!

Ty
                              The ET25 wheel will have a more positive effect on handling. The actual explanation of this phenomenon would take quite a while to explain, so I'll make it as simple as possible here: By drastically changing the centerpoint of the wheels and therefore tire contact point, many handling traits begin to change also. You end up with a car that can be unpredictable and darty. The best example of this is a time attack CRX in Japan which is VERY fast around the tracks due to its wide wheels/tires made possible by a 0ET, but every driver to get in it claims it's the twitchiest FWD car ever built.

The 60/40 drop will affect tire clearance, but since you're willing to go to town with a fender roller you should be just fine with either setup.

I know of a 16x9 ET25 setup that had 245/35/16s on it, cleared rolled arches okay. The 225/45's shouldn't be much of an issue.

For tires, 225/45/16 is a tough size (there aren't too many choices). Luckily one of the best for your needs is available, Falken FK-452.

Jay

Comment

Thanks a lot man, although knowing that I'm helping everyone is a reward on its own, it's nice to hear someone so genuinely pleased!

That 16x8 setup will work fine, but it will be drastically "in" the fenders compared to the rear setup. It will look kinda goofy, in my opinion. For numbers sake, the rears will be sticking out 45mm further!

Jay

Credit deserved and earned 8-)

I knew that it would look goofy
                                www.ryanwhopkins.com

Comment

Working...
                                X