Is it too rough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it too rough?

Hey guys, I'm brand new to this forum, but I love all the info that is available on everything e30! What brought me to this sight, and e30's in general, was the Touring's that were not available here. I love the car and want one badly, I found one on Craigslist, that seems to be reasonably priced, but does have some rust issues on the driver side rear quarter and front rocker. My question is, do you guys think it's a fair price? or is it too far gone and not worth it?
    Any idea of price to fix the rust?

Details:
    1989 318i Touring
    5 speed
    m40 engine
    138k miles
    says the timing belt has been done twice and clutch feels great.
    Cooling system looks refreshed.
    Suspension is solid.

Original asking price was $6,000
    Attached Files

I apologize if this is under the wrong thread discussion.

Comment

I don't really think it's worth it at that price with the level of rust we are seeing, especially as M40 cars usually command lower prices.

But if it's what you want, and you aren't afraid of fixing rust it would be an okay project at a lower price. I sold a 320i that was in similar rusty shape for less than 5k, that car did have a rare option.

Comment

Not worth it at that price as was stated above
        Originally posted by blunttech
        Levent guzzles vanilla hazelnut creamer like its my semen
        :shock:

Comment

It's not too rough to fix, but it's too rough for 6k. I paid less for a much better car IMO. With the level of exterior rust, I can almost guarantee several more spots are quite rusty as well.

In looking at many other tourings since purchasing one, mine is on the lesser end of the rust spectrum yet I still found several sizable spots in the floors and rear hatch area.

I'd feel much better about that car (cause I love E30 in red) at 4-4.5k. I think I recognize that building from the pics too. Do they import other tourings to sell?
          '89 318i Touring
          '90 Miata

Comment

Thanks for the replys guys! In my head I didn't think I could spend over $4k on it. I've never done body work and don't really anticipate starting it now. So I would basically put some rust immobilizer on it and drive the thing!! I have a 72 Nova SS for my 3rd car, so I don't need a fast daily driver, that's why I want this Touring. The best looking wagon, probably ever, and it's close to my price range (which is low!!)

The car is listed on Craigslist in Indianapolis, not sure if it's a company that does importing or not. I offered to trade my A4 Quattro 5M and he's not into trades.

I'll wait on it for now.

Comment

*the Nova is my 2nd car, not 3rd.

Comment

Rust is like an iceberg, you only see 10% of it. Walk away, especially at that price.
                Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

This is my car. I'm a reasonable guy and if it's not worth the asking price talk to me and let's figure it out. I sold my rust free e34 for less so maybe I overpaid for this e30... I don't know.

Either way it's a nice driving car that will need some work Over time. I may perform that work, and drop in the m30 I have laying around if it doesn't sell.
                  Last edited by Vic; 12-31-2016, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Is it still available? I PM'd you Vic.

Comment

I too am interested to know if it sold. It's hard enough to keep tabs on E30 sale prices, much less tourings, and this one should serve as a good benchmark.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                        I too am interested to know if it sold. It's hard enough to keep tabs on E30 sale prices, much less tourings, and this one should serve as a good benchmark.
                        I traded with a gentleman here in Zionsville Indiana who's well known in the BMW community for their custom radiators among other things. I no longer wanted to deal with Craigslist and I believe this car, if not properly cared for could've ended up In a junk yard and I didn't want that.

I traded for a 4 door e30 that's mechanically sorted with a rebuilt suspension, rust free and other classy upgrades that make the car very well balanced. I'm extremely happy with my decision because I ended up with an extremely fun car and he got a car that I know will one day be very special...this guy knows his stuff when it comes to these cars. Thank you all for your interest.

Comment

Nice, that sounds like a good trade. Craigslist can be pretty rough when you're trying to sell a touring.

Comment

Even after you patch the rust with a new panel, the cancer might just be minimally existent else where and come back. Some car resellers thrive on decisions made with haste. I would steer clear and wait for the right one to come along.
                            Transaction Feedback
                            Various E30 Parts for Sale!
                            Z3 Steering Racks for Sale!

Current Fleet:
                            -1987 Delphin Grey 325iS
                            -1989 Bronzit Beige 325iS

Comment

Originally posted by ScottSneed View Post
                              Even after you patch the rust with a new panel, the cancer might just be minimally existent else where and come back.
                              Done properly, this isn't an issue. Its an issue if you had rust at a panel seam and didn't treat or fix the other panel, or if the root cause of the rust was never actually taken care of.
                              -89' 320iT, Brilliantrot
                              -15' 320i, Glacier Silver Metallic

Comment

Working...
                              X