Common Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Common Issues

This may help others look for specific areas that may need work on E34s.

Suspension-
    - worn out front thrust/control arms = front end shake around 50mph
    - worn out drag/center link and tie rods = front end shimmy
    - warped rotors = front end shake

Interior-
    -early style door panels coming apart

Electrical-
    -LKM / light modules going bad
    -Clusters having bad capacitors due to age

I'll keep adding more as we go.
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

To add to this list of E34 quirks/issues:

Seat cables: When they go, the seat stays stuck in whatever position it's in, not too expensive to fix.

Heater core: Not a 'known issue' or anything, but anyone buying one of these should look for examples with this already replaced. It's a rather expensive, very complex affair to have one replaced.

Steering box: Same as above, not a problem area, but they're pretty expensive to replace (especially in V8 or M cars.) A good indicator would be excessive amounts of play in the steering wheel.

Delamination: Like Jean mentioned, it affects the door panels (primarily) on early cars with vinyl door panels; leather door panels usually tend to have a better adhesive from what I've seen (I wouldn't exclude them from delamination though.) The headliners will also delaminate and sag over time as well.

Glovebox latch: Gets stuck, ask me how I know. Just be aware of this issue in case you get pulled over by an officer and are unable to retrieve your registration. Again, ask me how I know.

Leaks: M30's tend to leak a little bit of oil from time to time, I believe member rThor once suggested that it is largely due to a head gasket gap near cylinders 5 and 6. Usually it isn't an alarming amount of oil, just consistent.

Cooling components: Before buying any E34, be sure that the owner has paid special attention to the cooling system (radiator, water pump, heater core, etc.) Also, thoroughly observe the various hoses as well. I know BMW used a very brittle plastic line in the 540i, maybe a few millimeters in diameter, super easy to crack even when brand new.

Sound cars all things considered, but 15+ years after production, it shouldn't be much surprise at all that many components throughout the car are nearing their expiration if they haven't already. Someone with E28 knowledge should chime in here as well at some point.
    - Trey

E90 325i/6 (ZSP, ZPP, ZCW)
    E36 325i sedan
    E30 325i sedan
    Volvo 945T

Comment

SLS suspension on the 92 tourings.
      Flasher relay
      Double sunroof,,,, again touring specific.
      Rear hatch wiring,,,,, touring
      Entire cooling system,,, but not to the extent of the e39's
      Auto transmissions tend to show they are on the way out by a delay when engaging reverse

Comment

Originally posted by naplesE30 View Post
        SLS suspension on the 92 tourings.
        Flasher relay
        Double sunroof,,,, again touring specific.
        Rear hatch wiring,,,,, touring
        Entire cooling system,,, but not to the extent of the e39's
        Auto transmissions tend to show they are on the way out by a delay when engaging reverse
        Agreed. I just threw in my second radiator in my touring this weekend. Also had to rewire the third brake light to work again.
        1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
        2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
        2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Working...
        X