E28 v. E34 DD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E28 v. E34 DD

Thoughts on this? I've only had my E30 for a couple months, but I'm pretty much done with driving it in the winter. I've decided it's in too good of condition to risk letting it rust to hell. And Vermont does that.

I plan on doing the vast majority of repairs myself, but which one is generally more reliable? And which is more comfortable / has a nicer interior?

Any other cars you would want recommend feel free. I've got nothing against japanese econo-boxes and subarus, but I've been there and done that. I want something with a little more style; frankly.

Thanks for any input.

It depends if you want something newer or not. E28's are good on gas mileage, but an E34 has a lot more to offer. I love my wagon too much to settle for an E28. Heated seats are definitely a plus when it's cold out. just my 2 cents.
    1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
    2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
    2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Originally posted by redsubdivisions View Post
      It depends if you want something newer or not. E28's are good on gas mileage, but an E34 has a lot more to offer. I love my wagon too much to settle for an E28. Heated seats are definitely a plus when it's cold out. just my 2 cents.
      Does your E34 get relatively bad gas mileage? Heated seats would be awesome, are they fairly common E34s?

Comment

This question is just like "Should I get an e30 or an e36?"
        Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

Originally posted by eskimo810 View Post
          Does your E34 get relatively bad gas mileage? Heated seats would be awesome, are they fairly common E34s?
          My E34 is a touring...so it's going to be a bit heavier. I want to say I get around 18 in the city and 25 on the highway. It's a great highway car. It isn't terrible gas mileage, especially with the age of the car. My woman drives it more than I do, so she would know more about it.

I personally like E34's more than E28's because of the smoothness of the M50 motor compared to the M20. All in all, it's your decision in the end.

Comment

Well that's something that I was thinking about.The 5 series generations are staggered when compared to the E30-E36 generations. Didn't know if it was relevant or not. My overall impression of E36s is that they're not quite as durable as an E30. Can that be said about an E34?

Comment

Originally posted by redsubdivisions View Post
              I want to say I get around 18 in the city and 25 on the highway. It's a great highway car. It isn't terrible gas mileage, especially with the age of the car.
              That's not too bad. And a great highway/cruising car is what I'm looking for.

Comment

Japanese eco-box VT uses alot of salt correct? E34 is not the most fuel efficient and E28's are getting very scarce in decent shape.

Or get a cheap 318i four door e36. Cheap on fuel and cheap to insure.
                https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

318i is a possible. Any reason I'd get an E36 over an E30? I'm not incredibly worried about fuel economy, as long as it's decent. I'd sacrifice fuel for a car that cruises easily at 75mph.

Comment

More common but I would consider something with awd in VT just due to snow and ice if it's just a winter basher.

VT has chain/Studded tire rules for most areas with any serious elevation correct?
                    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

I liked my 535i e34. But it was an auto and I averaged about 16-17 mph over all. I have been thinking e28 myself to dd. I think finding a manual 535i will be easier to find in an e28 then an e34
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by eskimo810 View Post
                        Well that's something that I was thinking about.The 5 series generations are staggered when compared to the E30-E36 generations. Didn't know if it was relevant or not. My overall impression of E36s is that they're not quite as durable as an E30. Can that be said about an E34?
                        Mine has yet to let me down. but! Make sure you take care of the cooling systems on these. They are picky...

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                          More common but I would consider something with awd in VT just due to snow and ice if it's just a winter basher.

VT has chain/Studded tire rules for most areas with any serious elevation correct?
                          I could be wrong, but passenger vehicles are not required to have snow tires/studs/chains by law. Only trucks and buses.

That said, the hill to get up to my house requires snow tires and sometimes even tube sand in the trunk with an FR car. It's just required, but if have those things I'm pretty much set. I won't be able to get up when there's 6in of snow on the ground, but I have options for those occasions.

At this point, I really like the idea of an E34 525iT. Just seems more refined, which is what I'd like. This isn't something I'm really going to mod at all.

Comment

Originally posted by JJe30 View Post
                            I liked my 535i e34. But it was an auto and I averaged about 16-17 mph over all. I have been thinking e28 myself to dd. I think finding a manual 535i will be easier to find in an e28 then an e34
                            Anybody else have a 535i from either generation? What other experiences with the fuel economy, 16mpg combined seems pretty harsh.

Comment

I DD'ed an auto 84 533i for 18 months and got ~16 in town and ~23 on the freeway now i've got a manual 535i (e28) and i get around ~19 in town and ~25 on the freeway. The 535 has less miles and was better maintained so i think that had to do with the large mpg difference as well as the trans. There's no reason to get a m20 powered e28 imo unless you want better mpg's. the m30 is bulletproof, no timing belt:D and easily go to 300k if taken care of. I think the build quality of the e28's is a lot better than the e34 and there are plenty of nice ones out there. I also think they are more fun to drive which is subjective.(think e30 vs e36) If you get a e34 i would strongly recommend getting an m30 powered one (535i), its the m30b35 so its got a little more power than the b34's in the e28's and the later motronic 1.3 i believe, management is superior to the m1.0(533i) and 1.1(535i) found in the e28. Drive them both and see which one you like.

Comment

Working...
                              X