My New 1995 540i M-Sport!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My New 1995 540i M-Sport!!

Hi all, I am the new owner of a 09/1995 540i M-sport. Black on Black! I thought it needed a water pump but found out that the fan just decided to kill itself. I will be replacing the water pump and other associated items any ways since I have the opportunity. Other than that and a few interior fixes and aging clear coat on the roof and trunk it is in good shape. I know these cars are rare with only 200 of them being produced for the US market between Sept and Oct of 95. Are there any huge draw backs of owning these over say a normal e34? Oh and the engine was completely rebuilt 50k miles ago. I will be receiving the entire service history of this car on Monday which includes a detailed service ticket for the replacement of the Nikasil block with the alumisil block. I hope to have the water pump/ fan repairs done by Sunday night and have the car tagged and on the road Monday or Tuesday.

Now for some pics
    Sorry for the crappy iPhone pics I will get better pictures when she is running and washed

Thanks
    Last edited by RagtopE30; 02-24-2012, 08:34 PM.
    450whp 524 lb-ft 1988 336ic In progress

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=250709

You'll definitely want to check the condition of the EDC and the rest of the active suspension components as they can become quite pricey to replace. I believe a lot of people wind up swapping out the entire system when it goes bad with 'regular' aftermarket suspension components.
    -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
    '95 525iT
    '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
    '98 Disco 1

Comment

Awesome Thanks! What are some red flags on the EDC that would let me know it is faulty?

Comment

buy it. Nothing spectacularly different from this and every other E34 other than the drivetrain and suspension, and the M60B40 is a super common motor.

Comment

Another M-Sport in NC, yay! I can think of about 5 M-Sports in the state and one (arcticsilber) resides in town along with my brother's (cosmosschwarz). Glad to hear of another one.

The fact that the guy had an engine rebuild is a good sign, auto/manual? Scrap EDC if it hasn't been scrapped already, my brother was looking at initially hanging onto it, but at $1200/corner it makes no sense to hang onto it. Signs of EDC peacing out: rock hard ride regardless of having EDC set in Program or Sport mode. It eventually gets brutal.

Like any M60-powered car, take special consideration of the cooling components. It might have the notorious front-end shimmy, and if it does, it might be due to the upper control arms... or about 30 other things. The interior flaws are common with E34's of any vintage, but later cars had leather door cards that faired much better in regards to delamination.

Mileage? Alusil/Nikasil? Pictures? They're cool cars and the cost of ownership can be a lot less than that of an M5. Good luck.
          - Trey

E90 325i/6 (ZSP, ZPP, ZCW)
          E36 325i sedan
          E30 325i sedan
          Volvo 945T

Comment

it has approx 145000 miles and is an automatic car. From what I was told the engine was rebuilt due to the nikasil but I will confirm all of that when I take possession of the car. The PO has a 2" thick folder full of Maintenance records so I will know for sure if the engine was rebuilt or if it was replaced. I am also going to take the VIN to the stealership to see if they have any history on the car in their system. The Autocheck done my Mercury[BKM] is clean and reflects the history that I was told. And the local reputable independent BMW shop knows this car very well and says that the EDC is in great shape. I should be picking up the car in the next few days and I will post pics once it is in my name!

Comment

I would love a 6-speed M-Sport. Always wanted one. They only made ~70 autos though, so they're kinda rare.
              '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

crawl under the car, remove the plastic cover, and the aluminum heat shield for the passenger side control arm bushing, and take a look at the block casting number above the starter. That will tell you if it's Nikasil or Alusil. I got burned once for not checking (the owner told me it was Alusil, but it was Nikasil) so don't make my mistake.

Comment

It is mine!! I updated 1st post with more details and pictures! So excited!!:woowoo::woowoo::woowoo:

Comment

nice score brah!

Comment

Thank you Sir!
                      More pics tomorrow of me hopefully repairing and running the car!

Comment

<<<Second happiest person that you got this lol
                        BroWorks.com Bro is a lifestyle

Comment

^LOL!! I am the second happiest person that you are getting a AWII 325is!!

Comment

Did some work today! I replaced the water pump, the broken coolant fan, thermostat, thermostat housing (aluminum), belts, and radiator hoses. I also found out that the battery under the rear seat is a turd and had left me with a nasty mess of acid to clean up!

2 pics and 1 video

Water pump replacement underway!

Battery Box from hell, but at least I caught it before any major damage!

Short video of running car and walk around.

Comment

just got a chance to watch the video, cant wait to see it in person!
                              BroWorks.com Bro is a lifestyle

Comment

Working...
                              X