e28 and 6x9s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e28 and 6x9s

So I'm redoing the mess of a PO stereo in my e28 and I want to return the rear shelf to a stock look with the 5.25 and the original speaker grilles. With 4x6s in the front and 5.25 in the rear I feel I need something for the lows. Instead of going subwoofer I was thinking about 6x9s in the wall of the rear seat.

I found this pic. Maybe they would be a little more out of sight in reality, but I'm trying to think of a way to make them stealth. Ideas? What do you think? Ghetto?

I thought round spkrs had better sound quality vs. ovals. Otherwise, if they fit, go with it!

Comment

I had thought about doing the same kinda thing in mine as well, but I am not sure if I wanna cut up the factory seat mount.

I bet it would work out nicely.
      1988 BMW 535is - 5spd - H&R - POS

Comment

You can fit a 8 inch subwoofer under the rear seats, then port it through that wall.

Or, here is a 12 under the seat
        Tri color fabric for sale here!
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=105922

Comment

Oh nice, how did you port it through the wall? Do you have a pic of that?

Comment

I didnt, thats not mine.

I did a pair of 8 inch sub in sealed truck boxs. If you trim the underside of the rear seat you can stuff the boxes inside the seat.

Comment

Dnt mount any subs under the seats, subs are ment to PUSH THE AIR. The more air u push the louder and better the outcome. I'm actually thinking about that 6x9 idea for mine though. I have two 800rms 12" subs in a sealed box in my trunk (note: way to much, extreme over kill but they were a gift so I use them) and I need to clear up my vocals with a set of 6x9 and some bass blockers for all of the interior speakers. Had 4 6x9 with bass blockers in my old e28 with one 12" sub (400rms) and it sounded beautiful. Debating on just doing that again or trying something new.

Comment

I know you said you don't want a proper subwoofer, but we are doing a run of E28 subwoofers in the next few days.

the prototype car has 200 watts on a dirt-cheap 12"...the bass is awesome.

We will be doing a 10" and a 12", and amp racks for both. If you want quality sound, start with one of our boxes. Ask any of our customers, they will all tell you it is the best money you can spend on your stereo.

Oh yeah, a pic for reference. This is the 12", the ports do go through the rear deck and couple into the box. As with ALL of our designs, 100% of the bass gets sealed into the cabin, so no stupid shitty trunk rattles and far better sound quality. Also, as s bonus, very little power is required as the design is roughly 100X more efficient than the cheap crap they sell at car stereo stores:

And mostly finished and partially installed (AKA "Test Fit")

Note that the front wall of the trunk MUST be cut, but it looks terrific when the seat is in

Something to think about, right?

Luke

August R3VLimited Special: E3012 "V3" box: $225 shipped

Tutorials: Killer $500 Stereo | E30 Vert Dual 8'' Box Installation | E3010 Amp Rack Installation | Radio Wiring and Amp Bypass

Comment

Nice work, Luke!! Be sure to save a box to display this July at 5erWest!

I would love to find a way to get efficient bass in my e28, but I'm not willing to hack up my rear parcel tray. I like the factory look. One of the POs of my car cut the shit out of the back trunk panel behind the rear seat, so I have a pair of huge square holes in it. I was contemplating making a similar custom box for a pair of 10s and run tubing down under the rear seat and out of the front of the lower seat support similar to how those 6x9s are mounted. Try to keep as much "stealth" to it as possible.
                  5erWest <--- click it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake D View Post
                    Nice work, Luke!! Be sure to save a box to display this July at 5erWest!

I would love to find a way to get efficient bass in my e28, but I'm not willing to hack up my rear parcel tray. I like the factory look. One of the POs of my car cut the shit out of the back trunk panel behind the rear seat, so I have a pair of huge square holes in it. I was contemplating making a similar custom box for a pair of 10s and run tubing down under the rear seat and out of the front of the lower seat support similar to how those 6x9s are mounted. Try to keep as much "stealth" to it as possible.
                    I'm with JakeD as far as what he said on looks.

One noob stereo question. If you have a sub in a trunk or under a seat or behind a seat, the bass you hear is the air? That's why you port it into the cabin? It makes no difference where the sub faces whether it's into your back or up your ass or facing your license plate?

Comment

When I had the 8 inch sub under my rear seat, thats where all the girls wanted to sit... Then I junked my e28 and became single... just saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik j View Post
                        When I had the 8 inch sub under my rear seat, thats where all the girls wanted to sit... Then I junked my e28 and became single... just saying.

Comment

Working...
                        X