Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought an e28 today, I have a few questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought an e28 today, I have a few questions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345967521.567192.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	7228412Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345967533.281843.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	7228413

It's an 83 528e completely stock. I'm third owner.

The car has no major mechanical issued. It runs and drives great. It has a few minor flaws. The back windows don't work, and the front passenger window only rolls down 3-4 inches.

The other problem is: it smells like coolant in the car. I can't find any leak. And the carpet is dry? Any idea what I can do to fix these issues?

One more thing, the rear set belts feel like they've never been used. They are very stiff(starchy). What can I do to soften them up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

E28's are notorious for having their heater cores leaking. Look into that.
    an extremely pugnacious, snarly little bastard of a car.

Comment

To start welcome to the best car ever made lmao. Just cause you smell coolant doesn't mean its inside the car. I would pressure test the system that way you can find out if the leak is even visable. On seat belts, I soak them in water then dry see if that helps.

What are your plans for the vehicle?

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

sell and buy e30

Comment

Originally posted by downernsp View Post
          To start welcome to the best car ever made lmao. Just cause you smell coolant doesn't mean its inside the car. I would pressure test the system that way you can find out if the leak is even visable. On seat belts, I soak them in water then dry see if that helps.

What are your plans for the vehicle?

My plans for the vehicle are to first fix the small stuff.

Next do springs(possibly bags later when I csm afford it, new wheels, sport seats and re apulster that ugly blue cloth with black leather. It will be a daily so I'm leaving the motor stock. I was thinking of doing some sort of newer dash conversion since the cluster doesn't work and the dash is cracked in a few places. I'm also bouncing around the idea of shaving the bumpers or going with euro or m5 but I'm not really sure what that's gonna cost. At the least they will be tucked. That's all I've got for now

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345972196.571810.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	7145101Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345972218.190165.jpg
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	7145102Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345972262.892622.jpg
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	7145103Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345972279.110166.jpg
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	7145104
            Originally posted by e30trooper View Post
            sell and buy e30
            I have 1.5 e30's an 85 eta and a 91 325is parts car

Comment

I paid 650 for this car. considering its issues do you think I got a good deal? It's rust free :). Not that's rust is reall a problem in the pacific north west

Comment

Sounds like a good deal to me. I paid almost twice that for my 535i e28.

Comment

Originally posted by Pdxseth View Post
                  I paid 650 for this car. considering its issues do you think I got a good deal? It's rust free :). Not that's rust is reall a problem in the pacific north west

Kepp it and yes good deal. Now to e30trooper why sell and get same car less the body? A 528e is a good daily and will drive smooth. If you continue just like you said car will turn out kool. On another note think twice about the bags looks kool but ride is shitty!! More for a looker than anything else imo. Nice snag.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

I cant believe none of you cats said "TIMING BELT" lol

As far as your windows go. Go on MYE28.com and buy a set of Lighted Post 85 window switches,The post 85 will be lighted while the stock ones you have arenot lit.

after years they get all crusty,so chances are they are just icky. Also make sure your breaker isnt in reset mode. Window regulators/motors dont really go out.

Comment

Will e30 window switches from a late model work?

Comment

Originally posted by xxx-Lost-Soul-xxx View Post
                        I cant believe none of you cats said "TIMING BELT" lol

As far as your windows go. Go on MYE28.com and buy a set of Lighted Post 85 window switches,The post 85 will be lighted while the stock ones you have arenot lit.

after years they get all crusty,so chances are they are just icky. Also make sure your breaker isnt in reset mode. Window regulators/motors dont really go out.
                        Why would a bad timing belt make the car smell like coolant

Comment

Originally posted by Pdxseth View Post
                          Why would a bad timing belt make the car smell like coolant
                          Not related. The first thing usually mentioned for a new E28 owner with a 528e is to replace the timing belt & tensioner. This is to be done every 4 years/50-60K miles, or you will have a much more expensive repair on your hands.
                          Before you spring for new window switches, try a known working one in place of one that doesn't seem to work. Then you can decide to upgrade to the lighted ones. Once you get a working switch and the window moves, consider cleaning the tracks with a solvent. The grease in the window tracks is 25 years old, and can cause the window to move verrry slowly, or even bind and pop the breaker switch, located near your right knee on the underdash panel.

Comment

One window works now it was just the track I tested the switches In my e30 they are all good except the ones on the back door I have a 2 door so I could not check those. I know one doesn't work because the window works with the center console switch.

I still have one window that won't budge and one that only goes down 5 in. Cleaned and greased the tracks still no luck. I think I'm gonna pull the motors and take them apart and clean them

Comment

congrats on the awesome deal

Comment

Working...
                              X