E28 fuel pump questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E28 fuel pump questions

I don't get it. There is an inline fuel pump. Under the car and something that goes into the gas tank under a panel in the trunk. What is that? I have a 91 318is parts car. I read that e30 fuel pumps are the same for e28 however I can not find an inline fuel pump on the e30( I found a place for it,but no pump))
    How could my e30 run without the online pump? Or is it hidden above the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The E28 has a pre-pump (or lift pump) in the tank that feeds the main pump under the car. The under-car pump is the same for the E30, but only on the S14, M10 , and M20 - not M42.
    Learn about your 318is fuel delivery system here: http://realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?mo...id=47305&hg=16
    The 318is "suction device with pump" was only used on that model.

Comment

The E28s use a dual pump system similar to those used in E30 325e's. I'm not sure if you can swap the pumps or not, I never owned an E28 and a 325e at the same time so I never researched it.

Comment

Ok well I'm going to try and make this work then. Less weight = go faster. Lmao my 528e will never be fast.

Comment

You need both pumps unless you swap like a Walboro or something into the in tank assembly.

My in tank pump went out and I used a Chevy Vega fuel pump in place. Mounts right in, and it's like $40, as opposed to $180+ for a new one. Believe it or not, I got increased fuel mileage by replacing the in take pump. Also, it quit cutting out when taking long, high RPM drags on the throttle.

Also, the main fuel pump needs to be fed. Mine got loud when the lift pump died. After installing the Vega pump, BAM! Quiet, working properly.

We're talking like less than a pound, so really, there is no advantage to deleting it save less parts.

IIRC, the in tank pump in a e30 locks in place by rotating around, e28s bolt/screw in place. They will not interchange.

The main, in line pump MAY be the same. I know it is for e12/24/28s. Probably is the same for all of them, check the part number in realOEM.
          1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

So I can get a Chevy vega fuel bump brand new for 40 bucks and it's a direct bolt in?

Comment

Originally posted by Pdxseth View Post
              So I can get a Chevy vega fuel bump brand new for 40 bucks and it's a direct bolt in?

With some work. There's a thread on here for an e30 where I got my info. It pretty much takes the pump out of the bracket, etc and puts a new one it.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...vega+fuel+pump

That's pretty much what you end up with. Mine looks a bit cleaner than that though. Make sure you get a fuel screen with the pump.

Comment

My in tank pump does not look like that. Do I just leave the inline pump on the car?

Comment

Originally posted by Pdxseth View Post
                  My in tank pump does not look like that. Do I just leave the inline pump on the car?

The only difference (e28 vs e30) is the top, where it mounts into the tank. The e28 pump has the fuel level sender in the middle of it, this is the part you have to remove to get the pump assembly itself out.

You leave the inline pump there.

Comment

First, what year? Plug your vin into realoem.com, then cross reference pn's.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X