Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picking up my first e28, best way to tow with car dolly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picking up my first e28, best way to tow with car dolly?

First post on r3v. Monday I am going to pick up my very first BMW. Found a great deal on an 87 e28 535i. Needs some work but its overall solid. Plans are to do some autox and track racing with it. Want it to stay street legal also. Have had a few project cars over the years, mainly Japanese, still rocking an 89 Toyota hilux pickup. This will be my first German vehicle. Here's a pic:

Using a car dolly to tow it home. What is the best way to tow, front or rear wheels on the ground? I am most comfortable with the rear wheels on the ground, out of gear obviously. Is this an acceptable method of towing? Would be traveling for about 2 hours, mostly highway.

Thanks in advance! Can't wait to start working on it.

Well first you're gonna wanna take those wheels off, box them up so they dont get damaged...........

Then send em to me. Boom!
    WELCOME!

07 Designio E63 AMG / 1984 318i (M20Swapped)

Comment

I've been told the wheels are worth more then I am paying for the whole car!
      Last edited by tinytim; 09-26-2012, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tinytim View Post
        I've been told the wheels are worth moth then I am paying for the whole car!

You payed $200 for the car?

Comment

Originally posted by xxx-Lost-Soul-xxx View Post
          You payed $200 for the car?
          Just about. I know they aren't literally worth more then the car...

Comment

What size tires are those? 225/50/16?

07 Designio E63 AMG / 1984 318i (M20Swapped)

Comment

Is it an Auto or 5spd? If I recall correctly, you need to add some fluid to one style of transmission before you tow rear wheels down. It escapes me which one, due to the fact I tow with my trailer. I'd hate to see you burn up an otherwise good trans.
              Last edited by Quadrajet; 09-26-2012, 04:00 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Originally posted by Quadrajet View Post
                Is it an Auto or 5spd? If I recall correctly, you need to add some fluid to one style of transmission before you tow rear wheels down. It escapes me which one, due to the fact I tow with my trailer. I'd hate to see you burn up an otherwise good trans.
                Its manual. I could always remove the drive shaft... only axles and diff spinning.

Comment

Autos you have to disconnect the driveshaft or tow it on a roll back.

Manuals hook 'em and let 'em eat.

My e28 started as an auto, and I had to tow it on the front wheels many a time = scary over 45 mph.

For driving 2 hours on the highway, I probably would unhook it.
                  1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by be34st View Post
                    What size tires are those? 225/50/16?
                    Should be,But on most e28's they rub on the rear. Id prob say 205 55 16

i Hate tow dollies. I cant stand stand them argh.

Comment

Disconnect the driveshaft. Not all of the trans is lubricated with the engine stopped. If you are going to just grab and drag, stop every now and then and run the engine for a bit to spin up the trans input.
                      2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                      2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                      1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                      1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                      - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                      1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                      1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                      Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                        Disconnect the driveshaft. Not all of the trans is lubricated with the engine stopped. If you are going to just grab and drag, stop every now and then and run the engine for a bit to spin up the trans input.
                        Unfortunately the clutch pilot bearing is shot and there is a potential to damage the fly wheel if I run it right now. I think my best bet is to disconnect the drive shaft.

What kind of connection is at the drive shaft to manual trans? I am assuming it is a bolted flange style. Same at the diff connection?

Comment

one brave person to use a tow dolly. I agree the rims are worth more then the car! Those rims maybe 1988 M5 rims if they are 16inch nice find!

Comment

Working...
                          X