couple years old hard road tar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

couple years old hard road tar?

i was using goof off and got the tar off but under neat it is some yellow stain. after spraying more goof off on those yellow stain, the area is covered in light yellow and i can't seem to get them off. i'll post some pictures tomorrow as its dark outside.

Last edited by mr.vang; 10-03-2012, 09:15 PM.
    Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

What paint color? Single stage? First try polishing it and report back.

For future reference, I used Rain-X bug and tar remover to get off like 12 years worth of tar one time, worked like a charm.
    The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
    Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
    2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
    2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Pressure wash until the paint comes off. My friends Camry had like 5 pounds of hardened gunk like that. Literally chipped it of. What a pain.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
      DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
        Pressure wash until the paint comes off. My friends Camry had like 5 pounds of hardened gunk like that. Literally chipped it of. What a pain.
        i was thinking to same thing but no pressure washer for me. the tar is already gone, although it left some yellow stain.

Comment

WD 40... spray, let sit, spray and let sit and after a day or two of a half dozen or so douses it should just wipe right off

Comment

Try a clay bar maybe.

07 Designio E63 AMG / 1984 318i (M20Swapped)

Comment

Thinner! Should wipe right off.
              89 325 cabrio in progress m52tub28 swap
              99 540it
              86 Volvo 240 wagon
              99 Cherokee
              13 Passat

Comment

Originally posted by gart View Post
                Thinner! Should wipe right off.
                you mean the tar or the yellow stain? wd-40 won't clean the yellow stain off. it look like the yellow stain is inside the paint.

Comment

Both but test it in a small area first. From what I understand some solid color e30's have single stage paint. You don't want to rub too much with thinner if you have SS paint. You will know if you have color on the rag.
                  99 540it
                  86 Volvo 240 wagon
                  99 Cherokee
                  13 Passat

Comment

Both but test it in a small area first. From what I understand some solid color e30's have single stage paint. You don't want to rub too much with thinner if you have SS paint. You will know if you have color on the rag.
                    thanks, i'll give that a try tomorrow. what thinner would you prefer?

Comment

Gasoline. If its yellowing might be the clearcoat. If its single stage I'd go with wd-40. Much safer on the paint. If it can remove cosmoline then should work as well on whatever it is. If u haven't already clayed then u should probably do that first.

If your going with a thinner. Mineral spirits is the safest on paint. Next would be straight acetone. Paint thinner would most likely just eat the paint depending on how crazy you get. Then you'll be up shit creek.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                      DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

I would try a claybar before using any type of thinner at all.

07 Designio E63 AMG / 1984 318i (M20Swapped)

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
                          Gasoline. If its yellowing might be the clearcoat. If its single stage I'd go with wd-40. Much safer on the paint. If it can remove cosmoline then should work as well on whatever it is. If u haven't already clayed then u should probably do that first.

If your going with a thinner. Mineral spirits is the safest on paint. Next would be straight acetone. Paint thinner would most likely just eat the paint depending on how crazy you get. Then you'll be up shit creek.
                          so far i had try wd-40, clay bar and the yellow stain is going no where. i'm to the point where i'm going to sand them down.

Comment

Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
                            so far i had try wd-40, clay bar and the yellow stain is going no where. i'm to the point where i'm going to sand them down.
                            If lacquer thinner does not work, and again be careful. Watch for color on the rag. If its base clear you will be fine. The paint may have absorbed the color from the tar depending on how long it's been on there. My next step would be wet sand with 1000,1200,1500 in that order then buff. Good luck!
                            99 540it
                            86 Volvo 240 wagon
                            99 Cherokee
                            13 Passat

Comment

If lacquer thinner does not work, and again be careful. Watch for color on the rag. If its base clear you will be fine. The paint may have absorbed the color from the tar depending on how long it's been on there. My next step would be wet sand with 1000,1200,1500 in that order then buff. Good luck!
                              hopefully the thinner will take care of those yellow stain, if not i'll have to wet sand it.

Comment

Working...
                              X