To buy or not to buy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To buy or not to buy...

I recently got a lead on a 1995 540i/6. It's black on black, nice shape overall (some rust around door handles, fenders and trunk release button, clearcoat damage on hood). It definitely needs a fair bit of work, mostly cosmetic but alos struts, brakes, new wheels and tires and possibly more. The biggest issue, however, is that 1st and 2nd gear are inop. They don't engage. All other gears are fine, but the shifter requires some effort to move.

The car has about 245k kms, so about 150k miles. Seller wants $1000, but I need to find a) money (I'm dirt poor) and b) storage (not easy around here). I won't touch it until the spring, when both those issues will disappear.

Y/N?
    Last edited by TSI; 10-19-2013, 09:38 AM.

Well if you don't have the money to even buy the car, how will you afford to fix it? You'll just be wasting money by simply storing it.
    sigpic

1999 528it - Daily Driver “Dad Wagon”
    1991 325is - 2.8L Budget Stroker Garage Slut
    1991 318is - Sold
    1986 325 - Sold

Instagram - Lamoursum

Comment

Originally posted by ButtJuice View Post
      Well if you don't have the money to even buy the car, how will you afford to fix it? You'll just be wasting money by simply storing it.
      I'll have the money in the spring, both to buy and fix it. Thing is, I need to snap it up soonish if I want it.

Comment

Sounds like a parts car IMO. Rust in spots, bad clear, bad tranny. I'd walk away.

Comment

I bought a running, driving black/black '95 540i/6 that needed a brake booster for $2k. Had 155k on the clock and a fresh factory installed long block installed at 80k.

I would pass at that price.
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Working...
          X