High mileage E39s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High mileage E39s

Been thinking about getting rid of my e36 coupe for a roomier e39 (525i or 530i manual transmission). There's a few out there in my price range but the mileage is pushing 250k. Anything to be concerned about at that mileage, particularly the drivetrain? I'm willing to kill a weekend replacing worn out suspension but I don't want to touch the engine or deal with fluid leaks.
    My Feedback

Boy, I'm looking at 540it's ... timing / cooling seems to be a concern at those miles. I don't know if I'd trust a PO unless he/she has plenty of maintenance records that jive with the car's mileage.
    Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

if you dont want to deal with engine work and fluid leakage then the e39 at those mileage is not for you. I have a 540i/6 and the coolant system is the weak point apart from the chain guides( non concerning the I6 engines though)

1991 318i Past
      1990 325ic Past
      1998 540i/6 Past
      1988 325ic Present
      1998 M3 Present
      2000 M5 Present

Comment

Get a 530i with a manual. Quick and easy to work on. Yes they leak pretty bad from the pan gasket but they are really awesome cars.

Comment

We have a customer with one with over 475,000 miles on the original engine and trans.

I wouldnt worry If it looks like its been well maintained. These cars can take neglect pretty well. But you dont want a clapped out one.
          1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
          1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
          1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
          1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Working...
          X