Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E28 Coilover suspension DIY (in progress)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iamsam
    replied
    more pics?

Leave a comment:

• cheapshot
    replied
    The picture here is a bit dark but you can see where we are grinding down the top of the strut tube with a flapper disk and where the spring perch has been cut down for the collar to rest.

Leave a comment:

• cheapshot
    replied
    Originally posted by iamcreepingdeath View Post
    So would billy sports be insufficient damping for these honda coilovers?
    They would be more than adequate.

Leave a comment:

• iamsam
    replied
    So would billy sports be insufficient damping for these honda coilovers?

Leave a comment:

• cheapshot
    replied
    Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
    That would be a good deduction to take from this.

I'm loving this, lol. Gonna slam the GF's red IS ^_^
    Do it mang!! I should have taken you for a ride in my e24 when you were down here. It would have you sold. We also finished up that e30 in the garage with the same coil setup, just g60's in the front and camaro gas-a-just in the rear and hot damn does that thing ride good!!!!!!!!!! I am hopefully gonna have the e21 completed this week with the same concept.

Leave a comment:

• cheapshot
    replied
    all right all right!

Ok so the civic threaded tubes fit over the BMW stuff. Case closed.
    Remember!!!!!!

Use a flapper wheel on a grinder to clearance the top of the strut so the sleeve fits tight. It will want to go onto it without this but it hangs up. I would not recommend using a grinder wheel as you may wind up taking to much off.

Leave a comment:

• iamsam
    replied
    all right all right!

Ok so the civic threaded tubes fit over the BMW stuff. Case closed.

Leave a comment:

• slammin.e28
    replied
    Originally posted by 5Toes View Post
    So basically honda covic strut tubes are the same circumference/diameter as BMW ones?
    That would be a good deduction to take from this.

I'm loving this, lol. Gonna slam the GF's red IS ^_^

Leave a comment:

• 5Toes
    replied
    So basically honda covic strut tubes are the same circumference/diameter as BMW ones?

Leave a comment:

• cheapshot
    replied
    Hmm this is very very good info. So I assume the ebay honda coilover sleeves fit fine on the E28 strut bodies?

Also, do you have pics of the process?
    How does one know if the spring collars will fit our strut tubes..? or do you just make an adapter to weld on that is the right size?

I am very intested in this!
    Use a flapper wheel on a grinder to clearance the top of the strut so the sleeve fits tight. It will want to go onto it without this but it hangs up. I would not recommend using a grinder wheel as you may wind up taking to much off.

Leave a comment:

• slammin.e28
    replied
    How does one know if the spring collars will fit our strut tubes..? or do you just make an adapter to weld on that is the right size?

You grind down the stock strut collar and just leave a bit there. Or you can get a donut to put around the tube and weld it on.

Leave a comment:

• 5Toes
    replied

Leave a comment:

• iamsam
    replied
    Originally posted by cheapshot View Post
    Dead serious. The ones I used on my e24 were listed for a 240sx but they are all the same damn thing. I just received my kit for my e21 from a civic. They are all 2.5" id 6" length that I have seen. I will try and test the spring rates on them today. The spring rates are great for a daily driver/canyon carver. If you want to track the car, I would invest in some higher rate springs. The collars and sleeves will work just fine for a track car. We also just did this to my buddies e30 and it is one of the best if not the best riding lowered cars I have ever been in. Only difference is we used g60 struts and camaro kyb gas adjust rear shocks. It's effin ridiculous how good the thing rides and handles.
    Hmm this is very very good info. So I assume the ebay honda coilover sleeves fit fine on the E28 strut bodies?

Also, do you have pics of the process?

Leave a comment:

• cheapshot
    replied
    You can also piece this together from afco but you will spend 3x the money.

Leave a comment:

• cheapshot
    replied
    Originally posted by slammin.e28guy View Post
    Ebay breh. "Honda coilover kit"
    ha ha serious? So all you need is 2.5" ID 6" long springs?
    Dead serious. The ones I used on my e24 were listed for a 240sx but they are all the same damn thing. I just received my kit for my e21 from a civic. They are all 2.5" id 6" length that I have seen. I will try and test the spring rates on them today. The spring rates are great for a daily driver/canyon carver. If you want to track the car, I would invest in some higher rate springs. The collars and sleeves will work just fine for a track car. We also just did this to my buddies e30 and it is one of the best if not the best riding lowered cars I have ever been in. Only difference is we used g60 struts and camaro kyb gas adjust rear shocks. It's effin ridiculous how good the thing rides and handles.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X