• Show
Clear All

Hood won’t close

Click image for larger version

Name:	80D2B264-95D2-414D-9892-573B8D0895A9.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	10017409
    Hello all, this is my first post and I apologize if it has been discussed already. I couldn’t find anything when doing the search, I have a 1986 325es that I have been working on since the end of dec 2020.

I got it knowing the hood wouldn’t close but didn’t know the exact reason. I have a hunch that it is the hood latch/cable but there aren’t too many how to videos or instructions when I’ve done my search, and wasn’t sure if someone had gone through the same thing.

I tried cleaning up the latch itself and it just keeps bouncing back regardless of how the handle is positioned on the inside.

I appreciate any tips/feedback and advice 🙏🏻

Sounds like your latch is stuck in the closed position, or perhaps it's not latching, could be either from your description. There is a hole you can insert a flat blade and rotate the lock to open if the former is the case.

Comment

Okay, I will try and see if that will get it loose! I’m hoping I don’t need a new latch and cable, so I wanted to see if there were any tricks to try before getting them.

Comment

The screwdriver trick is the same thing you'd use if your hood was stuck closed.

Comment

its usually the latch.. make sure it has a 90 "cut" to lock the hood in place....you'll see it once you remove it for inspection

Comment

Working...
          X