Bmw e30 upper rear perches for coil over springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bmw e30 upper rear perches for coil over springs

Hey guys, I’m installing 5’’ / 2.25’’ ID rear coil springs (0500.225.0650 from Eibach or the 185A0650 from HyperCo) on my early model E30 and I was wondering if I can install these linear type of springs directly on the OEM upper pads or is it better to install them on upper perches to be able to center the spring correctly. Something such as an alignment cone from GC or even the height spring perches from IE as showing below:

https://groundcontrolstore.com/colle...nt=38482681219
    https://www.iemotorsport.com/product...g-perches-e30/

I have a set of rear 2.25’’ adjusters that I will be installing on the lower part under the springs so my question is only regarding the upper part.
    Anyone run these springs on the OEM upper pads by centering the spring by hand before dropping the weight or is it better to go with a specific 2.25'' upper perches? If so, what do you suggest?

I've had both the stock upper rear spring pad and the GC cone and didn't notice a difference to be honest. I swapped to the GC ones since I was refreshing some of the older parts of my car's suspension, but otherwise it worked perfectly fine for nearly 20 years with the stock upper spring pads and 2.25-inch coilover springs in the back.

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
      I've had both the stock upper rear spring pad and the GC cone and didn't notice a difference to be honest. I swapped to the GC ones since I was refreshing some of the older parts of my car's suspension, but otherwise it worked perfectly fine for nearly 20 years with the stock upper spring pads and 2.25-inch coilover springs in the back.
      sounds good for the upper perches thank you

which spring rate you suggest me to run in the back with the short e30 yellow Konis S/A? is it safe to do 4'' / 650lbs to avoid bottoming out and to avoid a very stiff ride? The roads were i live are bad

Comment

I'd stick with the 5-inch spring to start. For the off-the-shelf Koni Sport the 650 lb spring is probably fine, but that's assuming your front springs are around ~450 lb in front. The annoying thing with the e30 rear Koni is you have to remove them from the car for adjustments, which gets old pretty quick if you're experimenting with different spring rates.

Ride quality is going to be dependent on the quality of the shocks. Both my e30s use 550f & 700r springs, but they have the GC valved Koni's and are reasonably comfortable to drive on the street even with the rough roads and undersized tires.

Comment

Originally posted by mtech325 View Post
          I'd stick with the 5-inch spring to start. For the off-the-shelf Koni Sport the 650 lb spring is probably fine, but that's assuming your front springs are around ~450 lb in front. The annoying thing with the e30 rear Koni is you have to remove them from the car for adjustments, which gets old pretty quick if you're experimenting with different spring rates.

Ride quality is going to be dependent on the quality of the shocks. Both my e30s use 550f & 700r springs, but they have the GC valved Koni's and are reasonably comfortable to drive on the street even with the rough roads and undersized tires.
          All right man sounds good to me, ill stick with the 5inch spring, with a rate around 600/650lbs

You think i will be able to go low enough in the back with the 5inch spring running them with adjusters and upper perches to close almost completely the tire/fender gap? i don't want to be completely slammed tucking the tire inside the fender, i want the low to the point before the tire start rubbing keeping maybe half an inch between the tire and the fender i guess

Basically my setup will look the same as showing on the picture in the attachment

Comment

Working...
          X