Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 325is with s52 swap - Tach and temp gauge not working

This car was built by someone else and the temp sensor has never worked

I was in the middle of trying to fix this and clean up/organize the mess the wiring was in and I did something that caused the tach to stop working
    The batteries are new and I sent out the cluster to be checked out again to verify that its not the Si board or the gauges
    The wiring was spliced to make a custom harness to my understanding

I have been reading a lot on different forums and so far these are the symptoms;

Temp
    1. key is turned to on position - the temp gauge jumps to past hot as far as it can, then once the engine starts goes back to the off position
    2. I read that if one disconnects the c101 and same thing happens then it’s the cluster if something else happens then there is a problem on the engine side - -so if the C101 is disconnected and the key is turned to the on position the temp gauge moves up about 2-3mm to just below the first white line which I think is the way it should
    3. The car has a brand new brown temp sensor in the block

4.On the back of the cluster - I have continuity from c101 to pin 26 at the blue connector
    5. No continuity between c101 and the brown temp sensor wiring - so I ran a new wire from the brown sensor to c101 and still no go...same symptoms

———————-

Tachometer

1. pin 47 at the ecu has continuity with cluster blue connector pin 7(black wire)

2. I see 6.2 volts AC while the car is running for black wire (pin 7) of the blue connector on the back of the cluster so from what I read its not the DME

What are your guys thinking?

Thank you in advance
    Last edited by Lunamar; 04-17-2024, 11:06 AM.
Working...
X