grinding noise from rear end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grinding noise from rear end

hey guys, question for you. I just started to dig into my 89 325i and i got the rear end up and am hearing a ginding noise form thre diff area. It seems to be coming from where the driveshaft goes into the diff. There is the remnants of what appears to be a dust shield of some sort there but it is rusted out. Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas (other then replaceing everything) as to what I may be able to do to fix this?
    cheers
    Larry

have you replaced your wheel bearings?
    Toyota Pickup

Comment

or checked the E-brake adjustment?

Comment

Some diff whine is normal for these cars when they get up in mileage, FYI. Could be the input shaft bearing, though.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

yea i kinda have the same problem but it only happens when im brake fast from high speeds. i thought it was the brakes themselves or maybe ABS. is their a chance that its the Diff? or anything else mentioned?
          Strategic Alpine Command:...sig loading

Comment

If its braking hard, no way is it the diff. That's probably just the standard noise that pads make when they are under a lot of stress.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

brakes

I am going to be looking at the brakes and wheel bearings, i will be looking everything over. I am just wondering how could brakes or bearings cause a grinding noise to be coming from where the driveshaft meets the diff? Dont get me wrong it would be great if it was just the brakes or the bearings, I know the brakes are rubbing when i hand turn the wheels i can hear them, but this is deffinately from the diff area.
              cheers guys.
              thanks for the replies so quickly. I will for sure have more questions as my work goes on.

Comment

Originally posted by TooTall90 View Post
                yea i kinda have the same problem but it only happens when im brake fast from high speeds. i thought it was the brakes themselves or maybe ABS. is their a chance that its the Diff? or anything else mentioned?

If its more of a banging noise, check your transmission mounts, mine blew once and under hard braking and the center bearing blown too, the driveshaft would bang up against the underside of the car.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

Working...
                X