dinan e34 m5 motor to e30 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dinan e34 m5 motor to e30 swap

alright guys, really random but i actually found a dinan e34 m5 with good everything except it was crashed in the back. Was curious if even possible or if anyone has put a motor from a m5 like that in an e30. I mean the car is basically free just need to tow it and i think it would be badass if i can swap that motor to my car. Also what parts if any besides the motor can i swap from that car onto mine, 5 lug swap? if anyone knows anything please lemme know, thanks!

search. But yeah the swap can be done just not the 5 lug.

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by e30s52 View Post
      search. But yeah the swap can be done just not the 5 lug.
      i dont have a computer, im using a ps3 to go on the internet with no keyboard. Not very easy to search with. Cant really find anything either. I took the owners manual out of the m5 tho when i saw it. It says it has a 311hp, 265trq, 215cu.in. inline 6. I know the 535i is a 206cu.in. motor. Is the m5 motor just a bored out 535i motor? Also i have another question, the m5 is a dinan m5, what exactly does dinan do to the car? Last question, does the 535i motor fit in to e30 easily?

Comment

Yes those mounts fit but you have to get diffrent motor mount arms. Dinan mostly just sells go fast bolt on parts for the most part. Where did you find this m5?

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Address of said m5? I'll go"check it out" for you.

Comment

yes it will fit. in theory yes the m5 motor (s38) is a m30. buy it and stuff it in there.

Comment

I also have a dinan 93 m5 i'm taking the motor from.

Issues you will run into

Engine mounts, tranny mounts, exhaust, custom driveshaft (although I've heard some combo's will work)

The biggest issue is the front subframe, which needs to either be heavily modified, or lowered about 15 - 20mm, otherwise you cannot clear the plenum.

Second issue is brake booster clearance, which I'm getting around buy using a modified e34 540i remote brake booster.

Comment

damn, you guys have no idea how stoked i am to hear this. Sorry cant tell anyone where it is cause its mine!! but i will be sure to start a thread about my entire swap if i go through with it. Ill also put some pics up once i get to an actual computer, not a ps3.

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
                  I also have a dinan 93 m5 i'm taking the motor from.

Issues you will run into

Engine mounts, tranny mounts, exhaust, custom driveshaft (although I've heard some combo's will work)

The biggest issue is the front subframe, which needs to either be heavily modified, or lowered about 15 - 20mm, otherwise you cannot clear the plenum.

Second issue is brake booster clearance, which I'm getting around buy using a modified e34 540i remote brake booster.
                  those are all issues ill have no problem with, have you started the swap yet? how far along are you?

Comment

Yes those mounts fit but you have to get diffrent motor mount arms. Dinan mostly just sells go fast bolt on parts for the most part. Where did you find this m5?
                    so this car probably just has different exhuast then a regular m5, maybe few other things and a dinan label?

Comment

Originally posted by joehasane30 View Post
                      those are all issues ill have no problem with, have you started the swap yet? how far along are you?
                      still in research mode, planning to begin some time after summer.

Few other things you need to keep in mind.

Read up on the S38 and what it requires. I hope you found a low mileage example because things start to really add up as the engine gets older, things like timing chain guides, misc oil leaks, etc really add up the cost of the motor.

If the engine has over 175K on it, I would check every piece before putting it into the car, and work from there. If you have a chance to snag up any spare S38 parts you should certainly do it, heads alone can fetch over 3000 - 4000 once rebuilt, and if you are talking about the entire engine it can take over 10 grand to rebuild it to near factory spec.

And finally, also check into what oil you plan on running, something high in zinc is a good place to start. Don't plan on running anything off the shelf at the local autoparts store.

Remember, the S38 is the last of BMW's raw ///M motors, so things are designed with VERY specific tolerances.

That being said, the motor is a work of art, and when its running properly it is still one of the best damn inline 6's in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by James Crivellone View Post
                        still in research mode, planning to begin some time after summer.

Few other things you need to keep in mind.

Read up on the S38 and what it requires. I hope you found a low mileage example because things start to really add up as the engine gets older, things like timing chain guides, misc oil leaks, etc really add up the cost of the motor.

If the engine has over 175K on it, I would check every piece before putting it into the car, and work from there. If you have a chance to snag up any spare S38 parts you should certainly do it, heads alone can fetch over 3000 - 4000 once rebuilt, and if you are talking about the entire engine it can take over 10 grand to rebuild it to near factory spec.

And finally, also check into what oil you plan on running, something high in zinc is a good place to start. Don't plan on running anything off the shelf at the local autoparts store.

Remember, the S38 is the last of BMW's raw ///M motors, so things are designed with VERY specific tolerances.

That being said, the motor is a work of art, and when its running properly it is still one of the best damn inline 6's in the world.
                        this would be an awesome project, but what kind of money can i get out of selling that motor?

Comment

Originally posted by joehasane30 View Post
                          this would be an awesome project, but what kind of money can i get out of selling that motor?
                          Depends on the condition, etc. I will buy it though depending on the condition.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Or maybe trade you my s52 for it.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Depends on the condition, etc. I will buy it though depending on the condition.
                              well im going to hopefully carfax the car soon. Actually i really have no idea how to go about getting the car, i literally found it, no owner, no nothing, all i have is the VIN. I dont want to just take it because it may have been stolen, its been sitting behind my friends warehouse for about 3 months.

Comment

Working...
                              X