insurance question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

insurance question

if I am looking at buying a car that has a turbo installed on it currently, not from factory. and I am going to only do liability is it a necessity that i tell the insurance company about the turbo and supporting mods and suspension work and all that jazz?

I'm trying to tell my dad that if I only get liability (cus the car isn't worth that much anyways) that i could recoup some of my money from just taking the hit on the actual car, and sell the parts off of it.

Are you buying the car to wreck it?
    "We praise or find fault, depending on which of the two provides more opportunity for our powers of judgement to shine."

Comment

I think he means if/when he gets hit, he can get just as much money parting it, as the insurance co would give him totaling it.

If you are doing what turf says, you're a moron.
      Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Comment

no, i'm not buying it to wreck it. my dad is thinking worst case scenario where short of the hand of god letting his wrath loose on me, there are half a million in medical bills from an accident that is my fault, that the insurance co will care that i have over 350rwhp and 375rwtq from the turbo and mods.

Comment

Are you still in high school? if so you shouldn't have a fast car. It will get you in a lot of trouble.

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

I'm a graduating senior. personally, i have had more HP at my disposal before, and done fine. 67 mustang w/ 351 and 5spd, the new e92 coupe M3, a nicely modded foxbody witha fresh rebuild. and a perfect driving record, no tickets, never been pulled over.

Only reason my dad cares, is that I have paid for all my cars, clothes, and "events". So he doesn't want me not being able to cover insurance and throwing it on him

Comment

so ur a senior and u were able to buy all of those cars with your own money?
              that post doesnt seem to be completely truthful imo

Comment

you don't have to tell them about all that stuff if you dont want to. at least here in RI. if they come look at the car after you wreck it and find out that you did all this illegal non-factory modding, in our state, by law, they wont give you market value when you total it, they will give you like $100 bucks. when they run the VIN number it will only come up with stock horse power and torque rating and vehicle weight ratios

With that said, unless the guy you're buying from is your best friend, don't by someone else's turbo project. you'll get it home and find out that it wasn't a garret turbo at all, but a shitty t3/t4 with massiv shaft play and leaking oil from every possible place you could imagine. just build your own damn turbo setup
                sigpic

I wear a suit, I do coke, and I ski...:D
                That's why I drive a BMW

Comment

Agreed. I'm calling bullshit.
                  Maybe you paid for the cars with money your parents gave you?

Comment

I get the feeling he means he has driven those cars, not that he has owned them.

Comment

When it boils down to it, no - an insurance company will not care what you've done to the car. If the car is involved in a loss and subsequently totalled, aftermarket parts or mods may diminish the value of the car and the settlement you'll receive. If it doesn't diminish the value then repair/replacement/compensation for said parts will not be covered unless you have some sort of aftermarket parts coverage attached to your policy.
                      -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                      '95 525iT
                      '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                      '98 Disco 1

Comment

Originally posted by Lyrred View Post
                        so ur a senior and u were able to buy all of those cars with your own money?
                        that post doesnt seem to be completely truthful imo
                        Originally posted by Wh33lhop View Post
                        I get the feeling he means he has driven those cars, not that he has owned them.
                        this.
                        Originally posted by pporcaro View Post
                        you don't have to tell them about all that stuff if you dont want to. at least here in RI. if they come look at the car after you wreck it and find out that you did all this illegal non-factory modding, in our state, by law, they wont give you market value when you total it, they will give you like $100 bucks. when they run the VIN number it will only come up with stock horse power and torque rating and vehicle weight ratios

With that said, unless the guy you're buying from is your best friend, don't by someone else's turbo project. you'll get it home and find out that it wasn't a garrett turbo at all, but a shitty t3/t4 with massive shaft play and leaking oil from every possible place you could imagine. just build your own damn turbo setup
                        it is a shops build. and i have a verbal that they will provide support for the tune after i buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by e30pwr View Post
                          this.

it is a shops build. and i have a verbal that they will provide support for the tune after i buy it.
                          You should insist on written. Perhaps on the bill of sale.
                          R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

the thing about liability only insurance is that they aren't insuring your car at all, they are insuring someone else's car if you are at fault in an accident. therefore, the cost of liability only is based on YOU and your driving record, not your car. the only time you are required to have full coverage is if there is a leinholder on your car (meaning you are still paying it off). if you had your 599 GTB Fiorano paid off, you could mod it, get 1000HP from it, and drive it around with liability insurance for $100 a month or whatever. once you get in an accident and it is your fault though, you are effed. liability only will only over the other person. if the other person is at fault, then everything is handled through their insurance.
                            http://instagram.com/dslovn.drives

Comment

Working...
                            X