is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it worth it?

My girlfriend's son is looking to pick up an 85 325e as his first car.

At the moment from what the owner has told me is that it needs a battery and the fuel injection relay. It doesnt run, but it did until that went bad. He said he "cant figure out the electrical problem, and wants to clear his head for his next project but will miss the car." He also said it ran fine for 3 months other than a couple hard starts which he attributes to the relay.

I havent looked at it yet, but its a 2 door black with black interior. A/C supposedly worked well. body and interior is supposed to be in good condition. Not sure if its got a sunroof or not, but I assume it does.

Im always leary about a car that I havent heard run so im asking you experts. Whatre the odds that it is something simple like the relay?

And btw, he wants $350 for it.

for 350 thats not bad,

I would bring the relay and some fresh gas. Pull the plugs and check them for missing insulators, just incase you lost a piece and fucked the compression.

bring a batt and do a comp test

if it is good for all this, i would offer him 300 for it, if its not a rust bucket. If its an auto bummer, but if it a 5 speed, the trans is worth more than half of 300 bills.

He would prob get around 150-200 if he scrapped it...
    88 325ic ~~~> Rusty and ugly
    85 E ~~~> RIP

Comment

i figured it might be worth it to part it out if nothing else. Its a 5 speed too.

If the guy wont let me pull the plugs or do a compression test should I walk away?

Comment

No. $350 is a good price for a parts car in any case, esp. a 5-speed. Forget a compression check; it's kinda pointless and not accurate after it's been sitting for a while. As you've probably read already, electrical problems on the E30 are common, but fixable. Bring a relay and hope for the best, but have a flatbed on standby and bring it home. They make great project cars.
        sigpic

Mike

'91 325i track car. Mostly...

Comment

start to walk and wait for him to yell for you to come back then tell him you'll give him $200 no questions and leave with it right then

Need Illustration or Design work? www.robbiebyerly.com

Comment

good luck
            88 325ic ~~~> Rusty and ugly
            85 E ~~~> RIP

Comment

gl with the decision

Comment

Hell for $350, if you don't get it running just cut the cats off and sell them on ebay. You will get your money back and then some, then crush it. No harm no foul.
                Rollin' with a Geistkuchen

Comment

Originally posted by RickSloan View Post
                  start to walk and wait for him to yell for you to come back then tell him you'll give him $200 no questions and leave with it right then
                  Dude it's $350, I know it's r3v tradition to haggle on everything (and I'm no different) but is it really necessary in this case? It's like getting a $1000 hooker for $50, and saying no I'll give you $35 or no deal. If it's a good deal, take it.

Originally posted by equate975 View Post
                  then crush it.
                  No.

Originally posted by urbancynic View Post
                  i figured it might be worth it to part it out
                  Yes.

Comment

well he said he didnt want to deal with a car that he couldnt drive away immediately despite the fact that he could probably make money parting it if we couldnt get it running. Its his money so its his decision. If i had space for it i would pick it up.

Comment

Working...
                    X