Adventures at the junkyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adventures at the junkyard

So Yun and I have decided the next engines for our car, 2.7/8 Stroker and we headed out to the yard to start searching. Started out at the closest yard which had maybe 2-3 e30's all early (like 84) 318s. We couldn't find anything so headed out to the largest yard near us.

About 20 minutes later we showed up and the first car we see as we walked through the door was a late model with the front bumper already gone. I've been looking for plastics so I was kinda disappointed. BUT when we walked around the back of it, guess what we found! A perfect condition rear plstic bumper that was missing a few trim strips! So we pulled it asap and about 15mins and $45 later the bumper was in car!

After I came back in we started walking through the yard. There were lots of e34s around and a couple e30s. by chance we stumbled up a 12/1987 525. I ran the VIN and confirmed Yun's suspicions that it was a super eta!! I don't remeber the last time I found a good condition seta at the yard, let alone one that didn't have it's engine stripped.

We started by trying to pull the cylinder head from the car to check the pistons. We removed all the bolts, all the hoses and anything we could find connecting the cylinder head. After an hour of work the damn thing still didn't want to move and just as we were about to give up I rocked the hell out of the intake/head and it finally popped off.

We checked the pistons and they were in great shape, no marks, nicks, nada. Started pulling the oil pan but the subframe was blocking two bolts. After two agonizing hours more of work we discovered that the steering column was bolted on to the subframe!! After struggling for a while we finally had to give up, there was no way we could get the damn bolts off. In the end we had to leave a great set of seta pistons behind! Damnit!!!

I came out with a plastic bumper, but we're still Pissed we couldn't get the damn pistons out. Hopefully they'll be ok for us to try again another day.
    stephenbrody.com

angle grinder + front loader?
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

jack?

Comment

cordless sawzall--new pack of blades

join the E30 Cabrio owners gruppe
        click here for details

Comment

3 ozs of C4
          sigpic 1987 325is

Comment

At the yard near me, you need a bolt off, you goto the guys and they'll bring a torch over.
            1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Thats the one nice thing about being able to pull shit yourself. Most yards I have been to will let you walk around and take small stuff but they will pull the engines (and charge you for it). 9 out of 10 will cut everything.

Comment

You aren't aloud to pull oil pans at the u-pull-it here. Environmental issues.

Comment

Working...
                X