Embarrassing starting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Embarrassing starting issue

So I have a rather embarrassing starting issue. My car usually starts up right away, but if I go for a lengthy drive, say an hour or more, and I stop the car for a few minutes (say up to .5 hours) It won't start up right away. I'll crank it ounce for a few seconds and it won't catch. Turn the car off and try again and it starts right up! If i make just a short drive and stop, when I go to start it it fires right up.

I have a few ideas of my own, Maybe fuel pump check valve, fuel filter or maybe something else. Some of you may have noticed this at the picnic after the cruise. Any help would be appreciated as I would like to remedy this while I have the time off from class.

Thanks

i have the same exact issue
    88 325ic ~~~> Rusty and ugly
    85 E ~~~> RIP

Comment

I had the same issue, it would happen only on hot starts. I swapped the injectors and the problem stopped, I'm guessing leaking injectors were the cause of hard hot starts.

7speedshop.com

Comment

I had this same problem last year with my other e30 and I replaced the FPR and all was good after that. Just a thought...

Comment

Injectors for me back in the day when my is was stock..
          :: PNW Crew ::
          '87 325 4dr, '74 2002

Comment

I occasionally have the same issue under the same circumstances. From what I've gathered leaky injectors are usually the problem and mine do need replacing soon...so I would look into that as the most likely cause.

Comment

common nuisance. fuel check valve can be retrofitted. I am not going to bother, since it doesn't embarrass me.

Comment

mine does teh same, but now wont start. i have to jump it. i can drive for 2 hours stright then turn off and its dead. i just had a trans swap a month ago. thing it could be a groud wire shorting out,my batt or alt? wont hold a charge for sheet

Comment

wont be the alt if it satys running for 2 hours, the battery would not last that long if it was just running on the battery so it could be the battery

Comment

Thanks everyone, this has given me some good direction to head in next week when i finally dive into this. I have a set of 19# injectors I have been sitting on for awhile, can I run these w/o a chip?

Originally posted by e30trooper View Post
                    mine does teh same, but now wont start. i have to jump it. i can drive for 2 hours stright then turn off and its dead. i just had a trans swap a month ago. thing it could be a groud wire shorting out,my batt or alt? wont hold a charge for sheet
                    Sounds like your charging system. Check all your grounds first, then your alternator, check that out. Also check your battery too.
                    Last edited by thedeal; 06-12-2009, 01:08 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

yea, it never did this till after the trans swap. im going to my work today and look at the starter wires etc ,and if i can fix it

Comment

Working...
                      X