sheet metal console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sheet metal console

Didn't know where to post this question, but would like to hear the opinion from the community.
    I am ordering parts to reduce the slop in my shifter. A few of the items I can order from parts store and some only the dealer. One particular part (25111208580) refer to as a shift tower mount has a few manufacture, Dealer $34.00, Corteco $11.00 and MTC $6.00. Has anyone used any of these make?
    I am asking as I do not want to replace these mounts anytime soon as it is a PITA to remove the sheet metal console.

Thanks

I am not sure on what brand parts I got, I ordered all the parts to replace mine a while back and it made a huge difference!

Here is all the parts I've replaced:

z3 shift rod

I'll have most of these parts for sale complete with the shift arm, since I'll be replacing with a different tranny that uses an updated aluminum arm.
    Last edited by Jean; 06-23-2009, 08:49 AM.
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I have a spare sheet metal console, a single mount, and some bushings if you're interested. I was going to use them on my vert, but I converted it to aluminum arm.
      BMWCCA #389756

Comment

Jean: Not seeing all of your reply but I was toying with the idea of installing a Z3-1.9 shifter. But after reading most of the threads on the forum it appears not to be a straight forward install. I have a guibo shield/vibration damper and I am not sure if the selector rod would rub after the Z3-1.9 install. Is this the shifter you have?

Comment

check out autosolutions.net, installation page 4, it shows the differnce between an aluminum console and a sheet metal console, the swap from sheet metal to aluminum was a split year 1986.
          Randall Racing and Engineering
          Acworth, Georgia, 30101
          http://www.facebook.com/RandallRacingandEngineering

Comment

Originally posted by rich325e View Post
            Jean: Not seeing all of your reply but I was toying with the idea of installing a Z3-1.9 shifter. But after reading most of the threads on the forum it appears not to be a straight forward install. I have a guibo shield/vibration damper and I am not sure if the selector rod would rub after the Z3-1.9 install. Is this the shifter you have?
            I used two of the white "ball cup lower" parts back to back and sanded one down for it to fit in the metal console, you need to do this because you won't be using the spring tentioner that the old style shift rod uses. Then you have to slice the upper ball cup in order for it to fit over the shift rod. That's all you have to do, and yes I am using a z3 1.9 shift rod and it works perfect. You can remove that metal part around the guibo, most e30s didn't even come with it.
            Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

I have a z3 1.9 shifter installed in my car. I also have the vibration damper around the guibo as well. No problems installing it or during normal driving, really. The only time it's an issue is when I put the car into reverse. If I lay my hand against the shifter while backing up, I can feel it rubbing against the damper. Not a big deal though - no damage done 8)

However, if it makes a difference - my car does not have the sheetmetal mount.

Edit: Forgot to mention too - the shifter is awesome!
              -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
              '95 525iT
              '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
              '98 Disco 1

Comment

You just have to bend the rod a tad in the right direction to get the clearance that you need. Plenty of info on that in the shift lever DIY thread.

I have the Z4 shifter and it works fine that way. Of course I removed the damper, but that wouldn't really make a difference anyway.
                1987 E30 325is
                1999 E46 323i
                RIP 1994 E32 740iL
                oo=[][]=oo

Comment

I would like to remove the damper, but unable to find a local store that carry a 30mm thin wall impact socket.

Thank you all for the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by rich325e View Post
                    I would like to remove the damper, but unable to find a local store that carry a 30mm thin wall impact socket.

Thank you all for the replies.
                    If you're looking to pull the output shaft on the tranny, look for a 1 3/16" deep socket for a GM (I think?) oil pressure sender. This is a thin-wall impact socket that will work as a substitute for the 30mm on that giant nut. I used it on my car and it worked great. I got one at Advance Auto under the AmPro brand.
                    -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
                    '95 525iT
                    '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
                    '98 Disco 1

Comment

Working...
                    X