Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my ACS3 genuine?

Hey guys,
    I'm hoping someone can tell me where to look to confirm(or otherwise) if my 1990 325 ACS3 is a genuine factory example.

All BMW NZ can tell me is that the build sheet,unusually,does not include ANY options which in their opinion could indicate that the car went straight to ACS.
    ACS in Germany messaged me to say they dont keep records of their modified vehicles.Odd?

FYI the car has the following extras(all genuine)
    Full aero kit including is lip & boot spoiler
    Style 2 rims
    ACS steering wheel
    upgraded brakes,suspension & ECU

Any help you can offer in my grand quest is greatly appreciated.:D

Cheers.

pics!

Comment

there is no such thing as genuine AC Schnitzer cars.-- they never recieved numbers and arent recognized as "car-builders".
      Alpina is actually concidered a car manufacturer.
      AC stuff is still a dealer installed item today as well.-- I have put together atleast 5 cars(1er to 5er touring) in the last 3 years at my work--- but none come with any certification at all.

the parts are cool to have though.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post
        there is no such thing as genuine AC Schnitzer cars.-- they never recieved numbers and arent recognized as "car-builders".
        Alpina is actually concidered a car manufacturer.
        AC stuff is still a dealer installed item today as well.-- I have put together atleast 5 cars(1er to 5er touring) in the last 3 years at my work--- but none come with any certification at all.

the parts are cool to have though.
        Just wanted to add a few things to this if you don't mind.

While some of these tuners weren't recognized as "car-builders", there are cars built at some point from scratch by Alpina, Hartge, Schnitzer & even MK Motorsport. For example, my buddy has a 1984 Hartge H5S which even though doesn't have its own VIN and plate like similar Alpina cars (Hartge kept shitty records back in the day), at the time Hartge did not have "car-builder status" (I believe they received it in 1985). Just because they didn't have "manufactorer status" shouldn't descredit the car as not being a real Hartge.

The piece of shit in my avatar is in fact a real Schnitzer 535i and is very similar to this one: http://wp1016621.wp027.webpack.hoste...441/f00441.htm

This was back when Schnitzer actually focused on aggressive engine modifications and farmed out the spoilers, wheels, etc. from reputable companies, (BBS, etc.) whereas companies like Alpina & Hartge (even MK Motorsport to some extent) used their own spoilers and other parts.

I could probably talk all day about this stuff, but I will refrain from that.

Hope this post actually makes sense.

Ben
        Originally posted by BillBrasky
        E36's are the Stephen Baldwin of the 3 series family. They barely hold everything together and they only sold a lot because of the popularity of their older sibling.
        1991 318i Alpine II - S50/5-lug swapped - track car
        1989 325i Cirrusblau - Daily
        1970 2500 - Malaga over Grey Cloth
        2012 F350 6.7PSD

Comment

The ACS3 should have a plate inside the passenger door jamb with a chart showing this information:

1991 325ic and 1991 318is

Comment

Thanks for that info guys.I'm beginning to get a better understanding of how the schnizzle thing works.
            To my knowledge,apart from the ecu,the car doesnt have any major engine mods.
            Here are some pics

or not

Comment

not a schnitzerling http://s593.photobucket.com/albums/tt12/1rotty/ but good looking none the less

Comment

Working...
              X