'91 535i parts car advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'91 535i parts car advice

I just went and looked at a 1991 535i parts car. The front end is smashed but the rest of the car is okay, including one fender. Interior is so-so.

I was expecting to see an m30 but i guess i was mistaken because there was an m5x in it. Does anybody know what engine that is? Is it one that would bolt up to a getrag 260 from my eta? This 535i has an automatic transmission, which i'm not interested in.

The deal is that I have an e28 535i five speed. The m30 is knocking horribly but still running surprisingly strong at 230,000 and the five speed tranny shifts very nicely. I'm also still running old TRX wheels and badly cracked Michelins.

The guy said he would take $800 for the thing and basically i would part it out but keep the wheels it has for my e28 and, pending the mileage of the engine (it runs but there was no battery to start it), i would keep the engine for a future e30 or possibly put it in my e28 if possible.

Gosh, my head is swimming in a number of scenarios, and was wondering if $800 would be worth it for the engine, wheels, and possible profit of parting out some things and then scrapping the rest. Any thoughts would be appreciated asap since i don't have regular access to the internetz.
    My Feedback

If it's a 535 it should be M30, end of story. Take a picture. Early 525's came with the same M20 as E30's and I believe in 91 or 92 they started running Non vanos M50's. I can't possibly imagine someone taking the time to swap a 2.5 into an M30 car, so maybe the car was just badged wrong by a PO and the owner has no idea what they are talking about.
    1990 Islandgrun 535iM Sedan
    Euro lights + trim | Eibach/Bilstein | BBS RC090 17x8 | EAT Chip | Port + Polish | IE 284 Cam | Built valvetrain

Comment

Working...
    X